Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Cruze Diesel is here

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruze Diesel is here

I'm not a diesel fan, but this is definitely something I would consider to replace my HHR.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-diesel-reveal.html

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...diese-ovr.html

t finally becomes reality Summer 2013. That’s when the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel hits the road running as the first clean diesel car ever produced by a U.S. automaker. It will have a starting MSRP of $24,885†.

Clean diesels generate at least 90% less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions when compared to previous-generation diesels.

It all starts with a 2.0L turbocharged clean diesel engine designed in Italy, built in Germany and installed in the Cruze at our factory in Lordstown, Ohio. The 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel comes equipped with the very latest clean diesel technology which helps reduce emissions while also boasting 148 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of “low-end” torque† that you’ll have to experience to believe.
Other sites are saying 42mpg which is the same as the Cruze Eco and in the same ballpark as the Jetta TDI
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

That's freaking awesome! I know i'm not the only one who has been hoping they do this.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

A year too late. I was waiting for GM to do this - instead I picked up a 2013 Kia Optima for my wife at the end of 2012. They said in 2011 it would come out in 2012. Considering we had my wifes Maxima for 12 years, we knew we were going to upgrade soon. Took GM too long and we had to look elsewhere. Although I would have liked the diesel, there is no way the inside of the cruze could think about matching the quality and eye candy of the Optima. I'm impressed everytime I get in that car. No regrets going with the Optima. It's a great car, and even better bang for the buck.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May have to consider using those GM Card points.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

258 tq is huge on that little car. I wonder what they'll put down after a tune...

I'm waiting to see if the new Colorado/Canyon comes with a diesel. That would be my next DD/utility vehicle.

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
A year too late. I was waiting for GM to do this - instead I picked up a 2013 Kia Optima for my wife at the end of 2012. They said in 2011 it would come out in 2012. Considering we had my wifes Maxima for 12 years, we knew we were going to upgrade soon. Took GM too long and we had to look elsewhere. Although I would have liked the diesel, there is no way the inside of the cruze could think about matching the quality and eye candy of the Optima. I'm impressed everytime I get in that car. No regrets going with the Optima. It's a great car, and even better bang for the buck.
Not a bad decision at all. Optimas are damn nice.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

They will do much better once you remove the DPF and tune it. Just like the heavy duty trucks do.

Too late to the game chevy.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z Fury
258 tq is huge on that little car. I wonder what they'll put down after a tune...

I'm waiting to see if the new Colorado/Canyon comes with a diesel. That would be my next DD/utility vehicle.

Not a bad decision at all. Optimas are damn nice.
yeah, we have been very pleased. We paid another $1K for the even longer warranty - now we have 10 year, 120,000 mile bumper to bumper. We plan to keep it 12+ years just like her old car. Some features I didn't even need, but came with it - included heated rear seats, steering wheel, and front seats. My favorite feature - cooled front seats!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

It sucks that they won't be offering a manual transmission. Otherwise I'd buy one.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212

I'll admit this took them way too long to start doing, but the article even says it's the first clean diesel car ever offered by a domestic automaker. I don't consider than too late to the game when the only diesel cars you can buy here are the new Cruze, something from VW, or a german luxury car at a much higher price point.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

But considering they have had it over seas aleady, and talked about it for a few years now - what's the hold up?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my moms cruze gets 42 mpg and im sure she paid less than 25k

now if performance is better thats good but will most buyers care?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

But considering they have had it over seas aleady, and talked about it for a few years now - what's the hold up?
My guess is a mix of GM's usual no hurry to get things out the door and the fact that its a brand new engine to the states and took some fine tuning to meet U.S. regulations etc.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon5212
They will do much better once you remove the DPF and tune it. Just like the heavy duty trucks do.

The factory overboost feature that ups the boost for passing/accelerating is pretty neat. I'm sure many car guys will just modify that feature alone for fulltime use.

As cool as it is, most Americans are still anti diesel. It will be interesting to see how it sells.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Limited numbers, sold in limited markets, no manual transmission like a VW diesel and many years to pay back the premium over the four cylinder turbo... I'm not sure they're going to sell many of these.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So who is supplying GM with these engines if it's made in Germany?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by firebird99
So who is supplying GM with these engines if it's made in Germany?
My guess is GM is supplying themselves with this engine from their own European market cars (Opel, Vauxhall, etc.).
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Other sites are saying 42mpg which is the same as the Cruze Eco and in the same ballpark as the Jetta TDI
So then what's the point? Same mpg, higher cost. More torque, yeah, but how many people are going to care that much for this car's market?

I would think a good part is the EPA. The US hates diesel for some reason.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin455
My guess is GM is supplying themselves with this engine from their own European market cars (Opel, Vauxhall, etc.).
Yeah for some reason I totally over looked those options but your probably right.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So then what's the point? Same mpg, higher cost. More torque, yeah, but how many people are going to care that much for this car's market?
That's been my point for years, I still will never understand the obsession with diesel and now that it costs more than normal gas it really doesn't make sense. People tend to beleive that because it's a diesel it gets magically double the fuel mileage as gas. Not to mention the costs to repair diesels and replace injectors (Dmax trucks) or to even purchase one new, neither even come close to breaking even.

A few friends of mine took a gas 8.1 Silverado and a diesel Dodge Cummings on a trip up north a few years ago. They both filled up at the same exact time and drove the exact same route (600miles). By the time they arrived both spent near the same amount of fuel - ya the diesel got slightly better mpg - but the cost of fuel alone didn't out weigh the benefit.

I'd buy one only to see and try, the additional "torque" doesn't do **** for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the way our government taxes diesel fuel at a higher rate than gasoline. This is why diesel is more expensive, and why it has never caught on in the US.

Personally this policy pisses me off more than anything our government taxes. EVERYTHING we buy is shipped via diesel fuel on truck or the railroads. High diesel prices hurt our economy and encourage inflation. Prices on groceries are straight ridiculous now days thanks to the high cost of diesel.

I guarantee if diesel was even a constant $0.10-30 cheaper than gas it would cause a mass shift towards diesel cars, just because the public is a bunch of cheap bastards all about saving $2-3 a fill up. The big thing is modern diesel cars are so damn refined and just as quick as their gas counterparts there isn't any real tradeoff other than maybe a higher initial purchase price.

Quick Reply: Cruze Diesel is here