Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

68 "GTTO" 5.3l Twin Turbo Build with 58mm Garretts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 "GTTO" 5.3l Twin Turbo Build with 58mm Garretts

Hey Guys, I'm Jonathan, been on the forum for a little while gathering info on this build, spent most my time on the Chevelles.com forum for the past few years. As i had a BBC 454 in the 68 G-toe (As we call it at work)...now its been coined the "GTTO".

History: Had the car 10 years, working on it on weekends thru college. Bought it for $800 in ND. Gutted it and went thru the body panels, still has the original roof though! ha ...Thats about it... stored away for 4 years when i served in Iraq and came back finished school. Quite the journey and now its been on the road the last 2 years. First motor was a crate motor 454bbc (claimed 500hp)...drove for the summer of 2011 Cam went flat end of that season, built it again, everything by the book (dyno break-in with light valve springs)...and then thrust bearing got sloppy(TH400 B&m Converter... non-anti ballooning plate + 520lbft= not good, Lesson learned) and then cam went out..AGAIN in this last fall. Had Been talking about going with Boost and running a LS and that was my cue. Ditched the BBC, and started planning LS the turbo build or "build 3.0".
Painted the car its "temporary" Semi Gloss "flat" black. And one day will throw the dark charcoal grey on it. (Can be seen in the engine bay)

Pics from Last year:

Custom Leather Two tone seats... Black and Grey. Buddy of mine stitched them up.

What i have so far:

-I have a spare mock up motor, that a buddy had sitting around. Supposed to be "good" but its unknown.. and the oil pan had been off since before he had it. Good mock up motor while my stock 5.3 is getting a cam, studs, springs, pushrods, and ring end gaps checked/opened.

-Picked up a complete 5.3l with harness/comp and all for $250. (Plan on running blow thru carb set up)
-2 x Garrett T04B T3/t4 Turbos
-Edle2215 cam 220/224 @50 111lsa
-Custom accessory brackets using a 3.8l P.S. Pump (not finished)
-Alex Parts single springs with 130# seat pressure
-Turbo Concepts 38mm W.G's
-700r4 with caprice Tail shaft housing (just got my pro street elite upgrade kit from 700r4l60e.com)
-CTS-V pan (slight frame notch)
-Custom motor mounts off my frame side BBC mounts. (Trans Bolts up to the same slot on my cross member as my 454/TH400 combo... didnt plan that!)

Just finished the turbo headers, and down pipes. Still need to fab up the waste gates... just pulled the headers and am having them tig welded next week. I am doing it in stages...as he needs to get in the collector and weld before i attach the rest of the pipe that runs to my T3 flange.

Header Build:

Turbo mounts (not the temp mounts above):
Drilled holes for the oil drain studs on these turbos. The turbos sit on the mount and the oil drain will go thru the mount. sandwiched with gaskets on either side. More to come on these. I dont have them "finished" yet. But they bolt up to the Frame bumper mount (A-body) in front of the core support and pass thru the core support under the turbo.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i like what i see here!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good man!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by denmah
i like what i see here!
x2 loooking good...

Like the way you placed the turbos.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Watching closely...see sig. Only a few steps behind you.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aw man this is good
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Jealous! I love the symmetry.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
Watching closely...see sig. Only a few steps behind you.
Nice! yeah, do you have pics posted up yet?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSx64Chevelle
Jealous! I love the symmetry.
Thanks Curious, what converter are you running with the TH400?, The symmetry was getting out of control. lol I thought oh yeah ill try my best as long as i decided to do the twins... but that soon became the main focus.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by denmah
i like what i see here!
Hey man, i had read a few of your posts before awhile back. good stuff. Also I almost bought a RCLB earlier this year and that build you got going is super fun, Love how fast its going together. makes me want to do that next as a Daily driver!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Do you happen to have any pictures of the cts-v oil pan/ frame notch? I have a GM muscle car/ Hummer H3 oil pan on my dads 69 GTO 'vert and it hits the ground in parking lots and dips on the highway. Trying to find a better solution before its too late lol... As of now, 1/4 of the oil drain plug is worn away Cool build man
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
Do you happen to have any pictures of the cts-v oil pan/ frame notch? I have a GM muscle car/ Hummer H3 oil pan on my dads 69 GTO 'vert and it hits the ground in parking lots and dips on the highway. Trying to find a better solution before its too late lol... As of now, 1/4 of the oil drain plug is worn away Cool build man
Woa.. yeah The CTS-v pan might have worked without touching the frame... depending on what mounts and how high they are. but thats how it worked for me. I wanted it as low as i could and as far back. Currently my pan is about even with the bottom of the cross member and my drain plug is probably a hair lower than that. How much does your dads hummer pan hang down? I will take more pics later, but here is why i cut the frame.

(note: this engine still has to come out and i can take better pics of the notch ect.)

Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

To answer you convertor question, PTC is a very good one.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Sweet build! I bet those turbos are going to spool quick! I bet whoever helped you on the BBC had no idea what they were doing, 2 flat cams?? Haha I think this LS swap was simply destiny. Hopefully the 700r4 will hold what we think it will. Hopefully you have a different guy help you on the trans build since it sounds like the last guy is forming a bad reputation! Oh, and I heard he drives a mullet car.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTTO
Thanks Curious, what converter are you running with the TH400?, The symmetry was getting out of control. lol I thought oh yeah ill try my best as long as i decided to do the twins... but that soon became the main focus.
Its all stock, my neighbor gave it to me when i did my swap because i had a t5 5 speed that wasnt going to handle the 5.3. That and my 3.08 gears are whats keeping me from a better 1/4 et.
Keep up the good work. Just when i think i'll be happy doing a single turbo another twin comes out looking real clean making me rethink my plans.
Sub'ed
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub'ing
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Woa.. yeah The CTS-v pan might have worked without touching the frame... depending on what mounts and how high they are. but thats how it worked for me. I wanted it as low as i could and as far back. Currently my pan is about even with the bottom of the cross member and my drain plug is probably a hair lower than that. How much does your dads hummer pan hang down? I will take more pics later, but here is why i cut the frame.
It hangs approximately ~2 inches below the crossmember. This looks like a better alternative even if i need to do a little trimming. I'm trying not to have to spend like 400 bucks on a holley pan. You should be fine ground clearance wise. Thanks for the pics
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Nice! yeah, do you have pics posted up yet?
I have alot but haven't started a build thread yet. Looks like we have similar goals for wheels stance and power. If you'd like to share notes or photos send a pm and ill email you.
I was considering the same turbo's but may e they're to small for my 6.2 with T56?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

My next step is welding in the turbo drains...have suggesstions or pictures of yours?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
I have alot but haven't started a build thread yet. Looks like we have similar goals for wheels stance and power. If you'd like to share notes or photos send a pm and ill email you.
I was considering the same turbo's but may e they're to small for my 6.2 with T56?
Totally... and sorry for the delayed response. Was out of town for work then i just was working on the car no time for the Thread! I havent dont my drains yet however i think i decided what im going to do. I have have the cts-v pan and was just going in the front with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-AN-Oil-Pa...eef51a&vxp=mtr

I like this design. and was planning on something like this.

Quick Reply: 68 "GTTO" 5.3l Twin Turbo Build with 58mm Garretts