Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Changes to control engine heat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changes to control engine heat?

So last track season was my first time with a LS turbo after years of running NA big blocks. The engine used was a 5.3 with flipped truck manifolds, no intercooler. Here are the changes I made this year to try and control any extra heat. Please let me know of any other items that may help or any other suggestions. Last year I didn't do anything to control heat.

Changes:
1. I used DEI fiberglass composite exhaust wrap on my manifolds, down pipes, and my piping from the manifolds to the turbo.
2. Used DEI silicone spray in several light coats to get a good seal.
3. I used heat reflective tape and wrapped each individual spark plug wire. I used the stock wires and they sit very close to the exhaust manifold. I ran them this way last year with no exhaust wrap and used the boots to protect the wires but that looked like ****.
4. I used DEI Heat reflective sleeve on my -8 fuel return line to cool down the fuel as it returns to the tank.
5. I removed the inner fender wells. It doesn't look as nice but surely it will keep from holding in as much engine heat with them removed. Plus, it removed 36lbs from my front end.
6. I also put my turbo heat shields on. They have never been used. I bought them and then was told not to use them. I have heard conflicting reports on whether to use the turbo blankets or not. For now I have them on unless someone convinces me NOT to use them.

How much do you think these changes will help and is there anything else that I should put the reflective sleeves on to help with heat. I thought about sleeving the following but wasn't sure if it necessary.
1. The trans lines from the engine cooler to the trans
2. The radiator line that connects to the engine coolent cross over tubes.
3. The oil feed lines after the Y fitting. I have one to each turbo but again, didn't know if this was necessary.

Thanks. FWIW I finally got the engine all back together and fired it up tonight for just a couple seconds with the new Pro Flo XT intake. It was very responsive. It was also the first time I have fired up an engine without the transmission in. It was a little nerve racking but all went well and the engine compartment looks really clean.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its responsive because there isn't a transmission on the back of it. No 30-40lb torque converter to load the motor. To the original question, you might see some gains with the heat wrap on the exhaust pipe. It will probably spool quicker because of the heat staying in the exhaust. I am not sure why someone told you not to run a turbo blanket? I have always heard run them. Please explain.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right after I bought them. Precison assured me that running a blanket could have caused me to lose a turbo. They are on now though.

Oh and that makes sense about the response. Like I said that was the first time I fired up an engine without a transmission in.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, they sound cool with no converter on the back. I don't have a blanket because I keep buying other things, but eventually I will get one. I think that was just a good and lame excuse on precisions part. I have yet to see a turbo failure that was related to a blanket.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's good to know. If nothing else it looks much cleaner. Something else I did this time was I used copper seal mounting the turbo and also mounting the piping coming off the exhaust manifold. I just use the stock exhaust flanges with the donut gasket, etc. I figured spraying a little on there couldn't hurt. I wanted to do everything I could to help lower engine bay temps and lessen any chance of exhaust (boost leaks).

Something else that I am not sure if it helps or not. The throttle body has a factory hole just above the throttle linkage. Before I just left that open. It wasn't pushing much air. This time I put the line back in the hole and put a rubber vacuum plug zip tied on the end. Trying to do all the tiny things and hopefully they will all ad up.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like an open vacuum port that is a leak. That could be a boost and vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: Changes to control engine heat?