General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine Reving Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Reving Question

I have a 98 Z28 A4. It has recently started to rev up wildly on it own at random times. Sometimes i will start it up and it will idel fine and i will drive it a few miles then it will act like the throttle is stuck on it and want to idle up at 2000+ RPM. Other times i have started it and it will instantly idle up to 2000+ rpm. I have got out at that time and tried to manualy pull the throttle back and it is already fully back. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may not be the problem, but when mine started doing that it was actually the throttle cable.. - The tabs on the Throttle body that hold it were broken so it wasn't tightened and would occasionally get stuck on its own.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any other ideas?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the increase in RPM is only at idle I would first look at your MAF. The easiest way to check it out that i've done is by switching mine with a friends for a test. A dirty or failing MAF could cause the ECM to increase fuel raising the RPM at idol yet not be as big a problem as say a stuck cable while driving.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely check the IAC valve. They get plugged up with carbon and stick open. They're pretty cheap, and easy to replace.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
if the increase in RPM is only at idle I would first look at your MAF. The easiest way to check it out that i've done is by switching mine with a friends for a test. A dirty or failing MAF could cause the ECM to increase fuel raising the RPM at idol yet not be as big a problem as say a stuck cable while driving.

Increasing fuel ALONE will stall the engine if air is not increased along with it. Also spark needs to be increased to, or it will stumble and stall.

I agree about the MAF......easy to swap it with another one. But what a bad MAF does is make the IAC valve open and close....causing the increase in rpms.

Air going into an engine...EXTRA air from another source......is the only way an engine can rev up without the throttle blade being open.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could check the pcv hose for a crack or another vacuum leak.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your egr tube is tightened down and not leaking. Or if you deleted it make sure the delete plate is not leaking.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Increasing fuel ALONE will stall the engine if air is not increased along with it. Also spark needs to be increased to, or it will stumble and stall.

I agree about the MAF......easy to swap it with another one. But what a bad MAF does is make the IAC valve open and close....causing the increase in rpms.

Air going into an engine...EXTRA air from another source......is the only way an engine can rev up without the throttle blade being open.
I'm going to try this when I get my car out of storage. Once I had my car tuned for my ls6 intake, long tubes and exhaust my my car started randomly kicking the idle up to 2000ish RPMs when I would come to a stop. It wouldn't do it all the time and it would hang there for a bit then come back down.

Quick Reply: Engine Reving Question