LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opti or ICM ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default opti or ICM ?

just replaced optispark with a new Delphi unit.
Its giving me error code 36.

The previous optispark gave me the same error code.

two optisparks replaced and same error code.
This is making me think its something else.
Can this be caused by a wrong fire order? from spark plugs ?

spark plugs and wires are new. replaced about 2 months ago. when i 1st installed the previous optispark.

the fans do kick in by themselves which is weird. ICM is new.

the only thing i can think of are the 3 wires that connect by the ICM and the Igntion Coil by the bolt. one wire is ground and the other two i have no idea.
Do they have to be put in a specific order?

the wires on the right. black - orange - and ground.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey from what ive been reading its ur optical wheel in ur optispark but i could be wrong. some one correct me if i am.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a new delphi optispark that i just installed about 4 hrs ago.
I am really looking into just getting rid of this junk.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teal94z281989
hey from what ive been reading its ur optical wheel in ur optispark but i could be wrong. some one correct me if i am.
this is what i found on corvette forum............
"your screwed. I had a Code 36, was able to limp around for a couple weeks, but then just got worse and worse. The optical disc is getting crappy, before oyu know it its going to fail. You will need to replace the Opti as a whole.

When I replace mine two months ago and took it apart, the cap had rusted so bad that the rust had gotten into the disk (which is stainless) and covered it. Flecks of dust were getting stuck in the tiny slots that provide hi-res signal and causing the loss of signal.

I went the route of getting a new stock opti (got it really cheap from Forum member) sealing it completely up with RTV, and adding a DelTeq to remove the high voltage side as well. Works very well now".
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was also looking into doing the LTCC setup. Like Delteq, but not that expensive.
with this error code 36 i am getting. If i get the LTCC setup. Will that get rid of the issues ?
or will i need to purchase another Opti and then get the LTCC setup?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

just got a response from bob the creator of LTCC. he stated i need a low and high res to be working with no issues for the LTCC setup to work.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the optispark harness connector for dirty/bent pins and/or looseness in the connection. I'd bet your problem lies there, somewhere.

If you're having the exact same problem now then chances are the opti wasn't the problem in the first place.

The wires on the coil bracket stud are just grounds. Obviously order doesn't matter.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Check the optispark harness connector for dirty/bent pins and/or looseness in the connection. I'd bet your problem lies there, somewhere.

If you're having the exact same problem now then chances are the opti wasn't the problem in the first place.

The wires on the coil bracket stud are just grounds. Obviously order doesn't matter.
I second this, you should think about replacing this!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am returning the delphi opti. i also have a chandler motor sports that can be replaced from warranty. i know i should of done that 1st before buying the delphi, but i was tired of buying cheap optisparks. i will get my money back and then install the chandler motorsports opti and go with the LTCC setup as long as i get rid of the error code 36 high res failure.

as for the harness i have tested it and its making good contact. the thing is also before removed the 1st opti(chandler motor sports opti) i was getting no codes.i was having ignition problems at that time and assumed it was the opti, but then on the delphi opti i did get code 36.

as soon as i get this resolved i need to stop assuming its the opti going out.
I need to troubleshoot any issues more instead of throwing money at it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're going to keep one of your optis, keep the Delphi.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed with the above. Keep the Delphi, trash the Chandler.

The LTCC, IMO, is a waste. You're adding alot of complexity to a simple ignition system that when troubleshooted correctly is very reliable. It's a great idea but the fact that it still requires a functioning optical sensor is its achillies heel.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
If you're going to keep one of your optis, keep the Delphi.
The Delphi unit is giving me error code 36.
The Chandler opti gave me no error codes. thats when the igition problem started. so i assumed it was the opti. then i changed it to the delphi. so the delphi unit is out of the question.

im not going to keep a defective unit.

this is how the problem started.
my car died on the road after driving for 1hr.
car wouldnt start back up until it was cold. died at random times after its warm. i assumed it was the opti. after removing the chandler opti i saw a spark plug cable was torn. i wasnt sure if that was the main problem.
thats why i chose to change opti.

1ist i had the chandler unit that gave no error codes.
2nd i swapped with an Oreillys Opti remanufactured and got error code 36.
3rd i swapped with the delphi unit witch gave me error code 36.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of diagnostics have you performed to isolate the opti? In think the diagnostic procedures are available on shbox.com

The Delphi opti should contain a Mitsubishi optical sensor, which is one of the more critical, if not the most critical, components of this distributor. I'm fairly certain the same cannot be said for the Chandler unit.

Regardless of what the problem actually turns out to be, I would put a good optispark on the car. Summit has a sale on the Chevrolet performance optis if the Delphi does in fact turn out to be bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tested the Opti wire harness with a multimeter. voltages came out good.
ICM was tested at autozone for 3 times and 2nd time failed. so i changed that part.
Ignition Coil is new. spark Plug cables are new and proper firing order.

What im going to do is install a new chandler optispark for temporary.
Just to simply find the solution.
Then install the LTCC setup as it uses less voltage resistance on the optispark sensor.
I just simply want to fix this issue and then buy a new AC Delco unit down the road. then swap it out when i come to having opti issues again.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
What kind of diagnostics have you performed to isolate the opti? In think the diagnostic procedures are available on shbox.com

The Delphi opti should contain a Mitsubishi optical sensor, which is one of the more critical, if not the most critical, components of this distributor. I'm fairly certain the same cannot be said for the Chandler unit.

Regardless of what the problem actually turns out to be, I would put a good optispark on the car. Summit has a sale on the Chevrolet performance optis if the Delphi does in fact turn out to be bad.
I went ahead and ordered the Chevrolet Performance optispark since its at a special price

Will install chandler and then down the road when it does. i will install chevrolet perf. opti.

Thanks for the link. never noticed it was on special.

Quick Reply: opti or ICM ?