Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing "TRANS AM" and door guards

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing "TRANS AM" and door guards

Quick question: I was thinking of ditching the "TRANS AM" and the door guards on my TA, but I am worried the paint will be blemished, or different colors.

The car's a 99 with 40K miles, and the paint is black. Any chance there will be defects? The reason I ask, is because I removed the pinstripes when I got the car, and there are certain places on the car where they were melted into the paint and left little grooves.

So, is there a chance of that happening? I just want to get rid of them and go for a cleaner/sleeker look. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Launching!

I Did This To My 99 Trans Am But I Did It 2 Weeks After I Got It In 2000. I Used Dental Flaws And For The Stick Stuff Left Be Hind I Used Paint Thinner, But Dont Leave The Paint Thinner On For Long. Just Whip It On And Take It Off Quick. It Really Cleans Up The Car With The Side Molding Off And The Trans Am Emblens Off. Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a 2000, I took of the TA badges about 2 weeks after I got the car last July and the door moldings last week. After I Took off the molding I had no lines or marks. I polished and waxed the car after. You couldn't even tell they were there. If your paint is well maintained then you shouldn't have to worry.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

gonna do this next weekend
Old 04-19-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody got pics of this? I am interested in seeing how it looks on a white T/A especially...
Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PhatT/A
anybody got pics of this? I am interested in seeing how it looks on a white T/A especially...
http://groups.msn.com/OldMansWs6/sho...oto&PhotoID=40
Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

I've got a '99 red t/a. When I bought it, the side molding was already removed. Last year I decided to remove the Trans Am from the doors but was worried about the same thing you are. I went for it anyway and had no problems.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, maybe I'll do it today. The paint should be hot enough from the sun, I'll just used some sewing thread or something
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

I just tried doing it: didn't work.

I got some of the moldings off, everything was going smooth. Well, I took one off and it looked a little funny. I took the sticky stuff off and cleaned the surface. Sure enough there was a VERY obvious indention where it was, almost like it was melted into the paint. I'm so pissed. I also did it so some of the lettering: same thing. I'm starting to think maybe the car was repainted or SOMETHING. Why am I the only one that this has happened to? I'm getting so pissed at my car right now I want to just get rid of it and be done with it. I wish I coulda jost gotten a brand new one so there wouldn't be any guess-work into its history.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raptor99
I just tried doing it: didn't work.

I got some of the moldings off, everything was going smooth. Well, I took one off and it looked a little funny. I took the sticky stuff off and cleaned the surface. Sure enough there was a VERY obvious indention where it was, almost like it was melted into the paint. I'm so pissed. I also did it so some of the lettering: same thing. I'm starting to think maybe the car was repainted or SOMETHING. Why am I the only one that this has happened to? I'm getting so pissed at my car right now I want to just get rid of it and be done with it. I wish I coulda jost gotten a brand new one so there wouldn't be any guess-work into its history.
It has probably been repainted and they didnt take those off when they sprayed it. Can you tell a difference in paint color or is it just a bump in the clear coat? If its just a ridge in the clear coat take it to a body shop and have them look at it... maybe the can do something to hide it a bit. Wetsand it perhaps?
Old 04-21-2004, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

I think I will take it to a bodyshop. I have no idea what it would cost, but it'd be better than a $4000 paint job.

Quick Reply: Removing "TRANS AM" and door guards