Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

ADVICE PLZ! resto-rodder in Branson MO area doing frame off and i have a LOT to learn

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE PLZ! resto-rodder in Branson MO area doing frame off and i have a LOT to learn

-Hey guys, name's Tyler. I'm a 19 year old paintless dent repair tech that likes to tinker around out in my shop and do any kind of hunting there is when there's no hail storms to chase.

-I am confident in my mechanical skills because i have pulled and rebuilt a few motors and have done pretty much every simple thing under a hood, but that obviously doesn't make me an expert whatsoever. Any kind of advice is certainly welcomed because there is still so much that I don't know and could use help with.

I have a '64 shortbed chevy that has a 350 and a 3 in the floor. I'm just making it into a low budget, decent daily driver with reliability in mind (rather than power.)

I just got a '78 nova that i want to do a frame off and OF COURSE stick an LS motor in with a T56 when it's all said and done!
- seriously though, it's a basket case and i'm totally going through it and I've never done this before. Somebody please put me on the right track if i'm headed down a wrong road
-After stripping the car down i plan on taking the body off and possibly adding some improved braking and suspension. I would love some advice in this step because I have zero experience or expertise in this area. What needs to be done to the chassis?
-Next step is paint prep work (another area in which i have no experience.) Grind off the old paint, inside and out, replace or patch rusted out panels, push out any dents to no deeper than 1/8 of an inch (no problem, i'm a PDR tech) and fill with body filler and sand down to PERFECTION, and spray primer along the way to prevent rust. (Right? I've never done this before. What kind of body filler, sand paper, and primer do I use?) Another area in which I could really use some advice!
-I'd like to have this car professionally painted after all of this time and effort. Hopefully I'll be able to find a painter willing to paint over my body work!
-After all of that fun stuff (and time and money and effort. Emphasis on the effort. How much time and money by the way?,) it's time for some wiring! That's always fun (not!)
-After the wires are all layed out just perfect and just so and all my lights and everything are in place, it's time to get to work on the interior. As you can imagine, the interior is pretty bad. In my perfect world, this car's interior would consist of a driver and passenger seat, a shifter sticking through the floorboard with a simple ball at the end of it, only the necessary gauges. Very clean, and very simple. Any suggestions?
-After all of that stuff, it's time to drop my 5.3 with a car intake with a T56 behind it in, hook it up, and drive it till i die.

-Any advice is appreciated!-
Attached Thumbnails ADVICE PLZ! resto-rodder in Branson MO area doing frame off and i have a LOT to learn-dscn0326-250x188-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you already know what needs to be done. Just jump into the project and figure **** out as you go. That is the best way to learn.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Teching In

right on. thanks man

Quick Reply: ADVICE PLZ! resto-rodder in Branson MO area doing frame off and i have a LOT to learn