Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How are people keeping their map sensors in their FAST 90's???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How are people keeping their map sensors in their FAST 90's???

I have a FAST 90 that has the issue with the loose MAP sensor mounting, where it barely held in when NA, so I can only imagine that it's only a matter of time before it gets pushed out. Currently, I used rtv to hold it in, and I'm running ~14-15psi of boost, but plan to push more with a new pulley.

So since I need to put on a new map sensor, I figure it's time to find a solution to this issue.

Do I plug the map sensor hole in the back and relocate it somewhere else?

Pics are helpful as always.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a pic but I made a hold down using various length bushings and a small flat piece of steel that bolted down using the rear most bolt on the intake. I also used black RTV to help with sealing. In all honesty it is probably overkill considering the only area exposed to boost is that quarter inch nipple which would give less than a pound of upward force on the sensor at 14lbs of boost.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you tap the hole and put a barbed fitting in, then run a vacuum line from teh fitting to the map sensor, then clamp both ends of the line?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by allout06
could you tap the hole and put a barbed fitting in, then run a vacuum line from teh fitting to the map sensor, then clamp both ends of the line?
That's a good idea. Sounds like it would work, definitely better than what I currenlty have done.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry no pics but this is exactly what I did. 1/4" pipe thread to 1/8" barb. I mounted my 3 bar map to the firewall ran a short hose and it works perfect. Tap the hole first. I tried to thread the fitting in without and it didn't work.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used flat stock and that bolt directly behind the hole and and made a small hold down
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
That's a good idea. Sounds like it would work, definitely better than what I currenlty have done.
I had my thinkin cap on today.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could anyone provide some pics? I understand it but I am trying to get a friend to understand. If i can just send pics it would help
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Could anyone provide some pics? I understand it but I am trying to get a friend to understand. If i can just send pics it would help

Ur not foolin any one. The 'ol internet "i don't knot what theyre talking about so ill blame my friend" lol. Im just kidding Haha.

I dont have any pics. This was just an idea i had for when i do my intake..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ur not foolin any one. The 'ol internet "i don't knot what theyre talking about so ill blame my friend" lol. Im just kidding Haha.

I dont have any pics. This was just an idea i had for when i do my intake..
Haha ok that did sound like I was using a scapegoat! He has a BBK ssi intake and we took a long time chasing down a huge boost leak... like plate off the wastegate and still only get 2lbs at the intake type boost leak. Come to find out it was the plate on the bottom of the intake. We welded the intake all over for no leaks but trying to get the map to be deleted out of the possibilities. I told him a while back about this but he didnt understand. I dont have any pics either and he lives almost 3 hrs away so just trying to find some. Also, I guess this could be another cover up!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used a Brass 1/4" MPT to 1/8" hose barb and just remote mounted it on a piece of 6" hose. Worked out great on my FAST and LS3 intake.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Haha ok that did sound like I was using a scapegoat! He has a BBK ssi intake and we took a long time chasing down a huge boost leak... like plate off the wastegate and still only get 2lbs at the intake type boost leak. Come to find out it was the plate on the bottom of the intake. We welded the intake all over for no leaks but trying to get the map to be deleted out of the possibilities. I told him a while back about this but he didnt understand. I dont have any pics either and he lives almost 3 hrs away so just trying to find some. Also, I guess this could be another cover up!
I have a BBK SSI intake also, and i removed the gasket on mine and RTV'd the **** out of it. Never had n e issues with my map sensor though. But i was only runnin 5-6psi with my old procharger setup. Im going with a vic Jr with this build and an aarons elbow, lookin to make 18-20psi. Ill def be hard mounting the map sensor this time around.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I drilled tapped my ls6 manifold and put a barbed fitting in.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a BBK SSI intake also, and i removed the gasket on mine and RTV'd the **** out of it. Never had n e issues with my map sensor though. But i was only runnin 5-6psi with my old procharger setup. Im going with a vic Jr with this build and an aarons elbow, lookin to make 18-20psi. Ill def be hard mounting the map sensor this time around.
Yeah we are running more boost than(or would like to)5-6psi. We didnt want to take anymore chances on the intake so we just welded it up. I will likely have to go up there and tap/install a brass fitting for him
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

EXACTLY what i did.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Teching In

You should make a appt at you local garage and see if they could fix it. Hi brian its mike from kershaw and fritz. I like the strap idea,sounds like it would work
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ROCKETWS6
You should make a appt at you local garage and see if they could fix it. Hi brian its mike from kershaw and fritz. I like the strap idea,sounds like it would work
Hey Mike... first off, I heard congrats are in order! Most likely I'll go with tapping the hole and putting a screw in barb in there then connect it to the map sensor. Seems like the most secure way of doing it.

I wanna talk to you about helping me out with getting my wheels powder coated. Maybe we can do something with helping each other out on the side.

Again, congrats on the latest addition. I hope all is well and everyone is healthy and happy.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

you should just sell your wheels to me...u dont need them now anyways....with all that power you're making, you need some phatys in the back and some skinnies in the front...
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by TNTramair
you should just sell your wheels to me...u dont need them now anyways....with all that power you're making, you need some phatys in the back and some skinnies in the front...
I'm running 305/30/19 Toyo R888s out back. Hook decently when hot. Good enough for now.

Quick Reply: How are people keeping their map sensors in their FAST 90's???