Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Began my interior makeover..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Began my interior makeover..

I picked up a full set of ebony leather seats, plastic interior panels and carpet to replace all of my ugly grey pieces and cloth seats with shredded bolsters.

Well I will just say that I was appalled and disgusted when I removed my seats. My car has 190,000 miles but I never thought I'd see things like this.

Yes, that is my embarrassing amp wiring. I did it just "to test it" a couple years ago and demotivation kicked in, and so it stayed since I haven't had a garage, or even driveway to work on the car in a couple years.

I'm about 80% done now. I just need to either fab up tweeter pods, drill holes in the top of the door panels (doubt i'll do it... but the placement on my original door panels was good and looked clean), or buy the 6LE tweeter pods... then I can pop in the door panels. I also need some floor mats... does anyone have recommendations on somewhere to get new ones?

All that aside, I had some issues fitting the hatch pieces with the speaker holes. Regardless of what I did, the driver's side just would not fit. It might be because of the stock Bose speaker placement, but its nearly the same shape and dimensions as my original, so I don't know what's going on. I'll probably end up just figuring a different way of fastening it. Also, finding the screw holes for the pieces that run along the door with the carpet there was a PITA. I think if I ever did it again I'd channel slots in the plastic to slide them over the screws and then tighten them.

Here's a snapshot of what I have so far. The amp wiring has been virtually hidden and everything is super clean. Just need to definitely swap the seat belts and get rid of all of the 1993 colored stuff. I would have liked to keep those colors but everything is discontinued or people are charging an arm and a leg for things like switches on ebay.

As soon as I put everything together I'll post some good pictures. Its also worthwhile to note that its a pain to figure out what year camaros came with what interior colors. If there was a wiki or something, that'd be a great asset to the Appearance forum. I ended up with leather seats out of what I believe was a 99 and interior out of a 2002, so they probably don't totally match.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interior colors have been posted all over the site.
94-95 tan
96-02 neutral
94-96 graphite
97-99 charcoal
00-02 ebony
(List does NOT include special options, like Camel, White, Red, etc)

Your before picture... WTF happened?? That's disgusting.
Looks much better now though. Good work.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the post. I mean I searched for a while but probably just didn't have the right combination of words. So I guess I have charcoal leather seats and ebony everything else... oh well..

I have no idea what was spilled there.. I'm the 4th owner and that's probably the first time the seats have been removed. I once dropped a red bull in there, but not to the magnitude of that.

Good news is that I didn't find any rust. I need to mock up a shift boot for my console as well -- probably the final piece.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

"There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix" - Someone smarter than me

Looks great.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha yes. Thank you. I can't wait to get everything buttoned up completely though. Still hunting down a few small parts... and a headliner, which proves to be the most difficult thing to find locally, ever, for hardtop cars.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

One safety comment, Move your amp, I knew a guy who had an amp under the seat in his truck and his dad slid the seat back and pinched the power wire grounding it out and sparked a fire that burned up the interior.

I would also say that's a bad spot for f-bodies but it looks like you don't have t-tops (from what I can see) so it may not be an issue, but when t-tops leak thats the area that fills up with water.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah. I bound all of the wires together and they are under the carpet except the little bit that comes out to the amp. I made sure the seat wouldn't interfere with the wiring.. but thanks for the good point. I didn't want to run wiring all the way to the trunk or anything either... just couldn't think of a good spot. Only other option for me would be a rear seat delete and put the amps inside of them or something. The other amp is behind the passenger seat with the wiring set the same way.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Major improvement
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Big difference! Nice!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crows93Z
Yeah. I bound all of the wires together and they are under the carpet except the little bit that comes out to the amp. I made sure the seat wouldn't interfere with the wiring.. but thanks for the good point. I didn't want to run wiring all the way to the trunk or anything either... just couldn't think of a good spot. Only other option for me would be a rear seat delete and put the amps inside of them or something. The other amp is behind the passenger seat with the wiring set the same way.
I'm actually in the process (would have the thing ready to skin if it hadn't rained ALL DAY sunday) of designing a rear seat delete "framework" instead of doing it out of MDF making the frame with 2x4's that bolt to factory holes that you could then skin with like 1/4" material instead of 3/4" MDF, I'm going this route because I wanted it to be as low profile as could be and something ANYONE could recreate in like 2 or 3 hours.

edit: oh and thats what I found when I pulled out my rear seats.
Attached Thumbnails Began my interior makeover..-bolt-layout.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

edit: scratch that i see what you ment about bolts now. Good progress so far!

Last edited by maxplusten; 02-12-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: didnt read all the way
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maxplusten
edit: scratch that i see what you ment about bolts now. Good progress so far!
the "unskinned" framework when finished will have cost me 13 dollars plus tax in materials which is like a third the price of a sheet of MDF. I'll do a write-up with all dimensions once it's together, so long as I don't get frozen solid this weekend trying to finish it.

Hey OP, where did you get your new carpet from and how was the fit and cost?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Wow. That was without a doubt %100 worth the effort and money.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the "unskinned" framework when finished will have cost me 13 dollars plus tax in materials which is like a third the price of a sheet of MDF. I'll do a write-up with all dimensions once it's together, so long as I don't get frozen solid this weekend trying to finish it.

Hey OP, where did you get your new carpet from and how was the fit and cost?
I actually just bought used carpet from a partout car on here. It was definitely worth it to find good condition stock carpet. I knew I didn't want to bother with trimming and everything for three hours. This one just had a couple stains.. shot it with some folex and scrubbed away. So that's what I'd recommend. And great condition stock carpet can be had for ~$100. Not bad because you'll be paying upwards of $200 with shipping for new stuff that you still have to do all of the work to.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Awesome job so far man! I'm planning to change my SS over to a full black interior w/ some orange accents.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Wow.....Very Very big improvement haha

Quick Reply: Began my interior makeover..