Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

So I'm thinking about getting a V6...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm thinking about getting a V6...

Never thought I'd say something as stupid as that.

Long story short, I'm building a CMC Camaro race car out of my 97 and that's where the majority of my money is going. I really want a 2002 SS. It'll be a while before I have that kind of money.

There are a ton of V6 Camaro's out there for cheap. Like $4000 cheap, with low miles. I'm thinking I could find the exact car I want, a white hard top, 5 speed, with exception to the engine, drive it for a while while I save up for an LS6.

I did swap engines in my 97. Really not that hard, even in my 2 car garage with floor jacks.

I know the swap involves the engine, trans, trans xmember and front xmember, computer, wiring harness, and gauge cluster. Everything else is I believe is the same. I'd be changing the brakes and suspension, so that doesn't matter.

All of that being said, would you guys rather drive a V6 for a year or two with plans of the swap? Or just wait until you can afford the Z28?

Either that or find a high mileage Z28. I think that would be a worse option than the low mileage V6.

Do the V6's at least get good fuel economy?

Just wanted to hear some opinions.
Steve
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Teching In

I have a 2000 v6 5 speed with the y87 package. I am by no means unhappy with it. I love it even if it is missing cylinders.

As for the gas mileage. In the summer i was getting about 21mpg in a suburban area. In the winter it has dropped closer to 16-17(Heat, show tires, and an extra 140lbs in the back). The only thing i have added is a KN filter and a slp cold air duct. Besides the usual new spark plugs and changing all the fluids.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id rather buy a cheap V6 now and save up for the swap. If you can do everything on your own then you are already a step ahead plus that V6 can save you money meanwhile as your daily driver.

Just my point of view and opinion.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Launching!

hey i currently have a 96 3800 5spd camaro I love the thing I am selling it now. The only reason i am parting with it i picked up a formula firebird so I am getting rid of the six cyl. to make some of my money back. Its not exactly your dream but It is a solid platform to get started and most of the usual upgrades are already done. It has a SLP Cold air intake. Flowmaster Cat-back exhaust and sounds great. New centerforce clutch costing $1500
total the car has a little over 120000 and runs great very quick little car and body is solid. T-tops 17" chrome wheels could use a lil tlc but all and all the car is great and i only want 3000. Let me know man i got a ton of pics of it
be a great run around car while you save up to do your swap!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Launching!

So I'm thinking about getting a V6...-dscf3425.jpg
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
hey i currently have a 96 3800 5spd camaro I love the thing I am selling it now. The only reason i am parting with it i picked up a formula firebird so I am getting rid of the six cyl. to make some of my money back. Its not exactly your dream but It is a solid platform to get started and most of the usual upgrades are already done. It has a SLP Cold air intake. Flowmaster Cat-back exhaust and sounds great. New centerforce clutch costing $1500
total the car has a little over 120000 and runs great very quick little car and body is solid. T-tops 17" chrome wheels could use a lil tlc but all and all the car is great and i only want 3000. Let me know man i got a ton of pics of it
be a great run around car while you save up to do your swap!!!
I appreciate the offer, and that's the right price, but I want a LS car...makes things easier.

I want an 02, the newest possible.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Launching!

lol. figured I would throw it out there. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you absolutely want a 2002 AND a car with low miles -- BUT -- have a limited budget, it seems to me that a V6 would not be a bad idea.

A high-mileage LS1 isn't necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about mileage if the vehicle is clean.

As for gas mileage, I can't imagine the V6 has much better fuel consumption than the V8 considering the efficiency of the Gen III.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve got a 97 RS vert. ($5000 w/75K miles and 3yr/36K drivetrain warranty) and they only came in V6. My thought was an LS3 6.2L 376c.i./505hp ($6500.00) puts me with the Z06 AND I'm buying it crate so I'd know everything about my cherry filled virgin. A 02 SS even with low miles won't come close to the power you get from 6.2L crate and/or Z06. You would be buying an iron block where the 6.2L crate is aluminum.

With that said, I've noticed a lot of people selling their swapped-out cars for much less than what they have invested and that puts things in perspective. Cars like ours are not investments....I will have about $20K-$25K when I'm done but I'm getting EVERYTHING I want. Where can you buy a convertible Corvette with Z06 power for $20K-$25K (new crate engine 2yr/50K mile warranty) with the trimmings?

If you just want to buy an LS1 engine and rebuild it to factory spec you’ll get about 25mpg on the highway. But what’s puzzling to me is that you talk about speed/power and gas mileage in the same breath. If you go to a higher horsepower engine the days of 87 octane will be a thing of the past anyway so the talk about gas mileage is a bit silly. I originally went to come home with a ragtop Corvette but the wife wanted backseats for the rug rats. I thought about coming home with it anyway but as the saying goes “a happy wife is a happy home” and that wasn’t a battle I was interested in. If you’re not married you’ll get it later when you tie the knot. Get what you want and make sure about your decision because either way only money will really get you what you want. Besides; who cares, you can’t take the money with you once you’re dead, have fun now and smell the roses.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hrlyhnx
I’ve got a 97 RS vert. ($5000 w/75K miles and 3yr/36K drivetrain warranty) and they only came in V6. My thought was an LS3 6.2L 376c.i./505hp ($6500.00) puts me with the Z06 AND I'm buying it crate so I'd know everything about my cherry filled virgin. A 02 SS even with low miles won't come close to the power you get from 6.2L crate and/or Z06. You would be buying an iron block where the 6.2L crate is aluminum.

With that said, I've noticed a lot of people selling their swapped-out cars for much less than what they have invested and that puts things in perspective. Cars like ours are not investments....I will have about $20K-$25K when I'm done but I'm getting EVERYTHING I want. Where can you buy a convertible Corvette with Z06 power for $20K-$25K (new crate engine 2yr/50K mile warranty) with the trimmings?

If you just want to buy an LS1 engine and rebuild it to factory spec you’ll get about 25mpg on the highway. But what’s puzzling to me is that you talk about speed/power and gas mileage in the same breath. If you go to a higher horsepower engine the days of 87 octane will be a thing of the past anyway so the talk about gas mileage is a bit silly. I originally went to come home with a ragtop Corvette but the wife wanted backseats for the rug rats. I thought about coming home with it anyway but as the saying goes “a happy wife is a happy home” and that wasn’t a battle I was interested in. If you’re not married you’ll get it later when you tie the knot. Get what you want and make sure about your decision because either way only money will really get you what you want. Besides; who cares, you can’t take the money with you once you’re dead, have fun now and smell the roses.

Thanks for your opinion. The gas mileage question was about the V6. Thought that could be another selling point, but it's far worse than I thought it would be.

I'm married and will be starting a family soon, hence the need for back seats and a lack of money. I've been thinking a LS3 swap would be worth the money, but I have a feeling after a while, I'll get sick if the lack of power and really start missing the V8. That's something I'll have to figure out down the road, do a LS1 swap soon, or save for the LS3.

If I do the LS1 swap, I figure I'll buy a car for $4000, then find a low mileage LS1 and tranny for $2000, add another $1000 for odds and ends. So call it $8000 I'll have a low mileage LS1 Camaro. That doesn't include selling the 3.8 and T5. What do those go for, $500? That'll help.

I think this is going to be a fun project. I think the end of the year will be a good time to start shopping for a car.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Man in my opinion you should just wait until you can afford the ls1 t56 edition. It's really not worth the hassle.
Wait and get the one you want. Patience is key
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Launching!

^^ I think you're right. I was torn between a V6 and do a 5.3 swap, or get an LS1 Camaro from the start.

I've already found several beautiful LS1 Z28's with less than 100k miles going for under $10k...more like $8k. That's hard to beat.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

its way easier to get a ls1 from the get go, giving the current pricing.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
Man in my opinion you should just wait until you can afford the ls1 t56 edition. It's really not worth the hassle.
Wait and get the one you want. Patience is key
I agree with this.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I thought the V6 route would be cheap, but nice V6 Camaro's are going for more than I thought.

My next idea is to buy a LS1 roller. There are some really nice, low mileage Camaro's where someone blew the engine and yanked the engine and tranny to use in another project.

I'm thinking of doing a LQ9 swap. I figure I could do it a grand total of $5000. That includes a mild cam and a tune.

I think that'll be a better option. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

My $.02 is to forget the idea of buying a V6 and hold off until you can get what you really want. Fuel economy between the V6 and the LS1 isn't that far off. I get between 26-28 mpg highway in mine. I also have pacesetter lt's, slp lid and smooth bellows, Flowmaster catback, 3.42 posi rear, 100 dry shot NOS, t56 and I am sure there is other crap I am forgetting about at almost 11pm lol. Paid just under $5k for mine with 96k on the clock last March. The LSx cars aren't really all that expensive much anymore. Especially down south I would tend to think they'd be cheaper than up my way.

Good luck with the hunt and keep us up to date on what you find.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking about getting a V6...