Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How hard is it to rebuild a t-56?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to rebuild a t-56?

Right now Im on the hunt for a 9" so my funds are limited. My trans shifts and goes into each gear but it feels like it could use some freshening up. Instead of going into gear smoothly its pretty notchy. Just driving around town it feels like it pops into gears rather than smoothly going into them but its fine when power shifting. I was looking into rebuild kits looking into replacing the synchros, keys, pads, and forks. How hard is it to rebuild a t-56 at home? Id like to send it to tick or tpd but I cant swing that right now on top of a rear.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just blew my reverse up on saturday. Here are 2 helpful threads I found, I'm going to try my hand at doing it myself:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-write-up.html

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1877
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Before you drop alot of coin on the trans, try changing the fluid first and see if it helps. That ususlly helps when mine gets notchy.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what fluid do you use rob? I changed it when i did my clutch last summer used mobil 1 synthetic atf. Has always been somewhat notchy.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline ATF all the way. I just rebuilt mine in Aug. I started with normal ATF. It wasn't bad. The redline did make it more smooth.

Mine was in MUCH worse shape than yours. 2nd blocker ring gone and rev liked to pop out of gear. Once broken down I only found more stuff broken.

You HAVE to have some mechanical ability to rebuild it. As long as you do you'll be fine. I found it surprisingly easy. Do yourself a favor and buy a nice set of lock ring and snap ring pliers. Made life a LOT easier.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be fun to rebuild one I think. Thats something on my automotive bucket list.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
what fluid do you use rob? I changed it when i did my clutch last summer used mobil 1 synthetic atf. Has always been somewhat notchy.
Mobil 1 synthetic atf is part of the problem. Its too "slippery" which gives you that notchy gear clash feel. I run the GM manual trans fluid part # 88861800 which seems to work just fine. I've also found that regular dexron III works very well too. I'd stay away from synthetic atf. I ran mobil 1 in my trans years ago and hated it!! It felt like I was crunching up rocks every time I'd shift.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Mobil 1 synthetic atf is part of the problem. Its too "slippery" which gives you that notchy gear clash feel. I run the GM manual trans fluid part # 88861800 which seems to work just fine. I've also found that regular dexron III works very well too. I'd stay away from synthetic atf. I ran mobil 1 in my trans years ago and hated it!! It felt like I was crunching up rocks every time I'd shift.
exactly what mine feels like. Ill try changing it and see how it goes.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
Right now Im on the hunt for a 9" so my funds are limited. My trans shifts and goes into each gear but it feels like it could use some freshening up. Instead of going into gear smoothly its pretty notchy. Just driving around town it feels like it pops into gears rather than smoothly going into them but its fine when power shifting. I was looking into rebuild kits looking into replacing the synchros, keys, pads, and forks. How hard is it to rebuild a t-56 at home? Id like to send it to tick or tpd but I cant swing that right now on top of a rear.
I seriously considered building my own... I found the assembly manual from Tremec as a PDF and reviewed it, along with several write ups. You'll need some gear pullers, snap ring pliers, and possibly a press... ended up not being worth the hassle for me, I bought parts and had a local shop do it.

Don't let that discourage you, if you pay close attention and do everything right, I would recommend giving it a shot.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree change the fluid and see what happens. Also keep in the t56 will never shift butter smooth like other Trannys it's design simply won't let it. Also if and when you do rebuild it I have found the upgraded carbon blockers also make shifting a but notchy compared to the stock ones but they do hold up better.

That being said I wouldn't run synthetic in a stock t56. However with carbon blockers there should be no problem running redline d4 or Mobil. I personally run redline and it's smoother than any ATF or synchromesh I've tried. I believe teemed says you can run Mobil 1 with paper blockers but I'm not sure redline also says you can run d4. I love redline in mine. Even after a rebuild it shifted better than it did with dex3
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know they'll never be like butter but I know mine is a little notchier than it should be. Im going to switch the fluids but a rebuild will probably be needed soon in its future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard is it to rebuild a t-56?