General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird problem

I've been having a really strange issue with my 99 z28 lately, back in Dec I installed some WCCH heads on my car. Ever since Ive had a couple issues, first I had a vac leak and finally found it (under the intake) and within the last two weeks its been doing some weird ****. It starts and runs fine except I'll be driving and my temp gauge will shut down and the car will start cutting out and lose throttle response, sometimes it'll will start idling up on its on and then cut out and idle up again leading to it dying....So I'll pull over and it won't wanna start for a few mins. This morning I left it idling while I ran into the gas station, came back out and it died at some point. I changed the MAF since the other one was kinda old anyways and it still has this issue.

Anyone have any insight? Maybe the fuel pump? But it doesnt whine and the car generally starts on the first try. Only the water temp gauge quits working, the rest stay functional.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang man that's no fun to go to all that work then stuff not work right. the temp gauge shutting down indicates to me that it's electrical, although, i'm certainly no expert. however, it doesn't cost anything to make sure that all of your ground wires are grounded correctly and all of your plugs are in tact and no wires are damaged. start with the fuze box.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change the relay on the fuel pump. They go out intermittently.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Check your ECT sensor. I "think" the PCM uses the ECT for fuel/spark stradegy as well as running the temp gauge.

If the ECT is bad or there's a short in the wiring harness and the PCM suddenly sees a huge difference in temp it will change its strategy causing the car to run poorly.

I'm looking at the wiring diagram at the moment. If there's a seperate sensor for the gauge I'll post back in a few.

I would also check your grounds on the back of the cylinder heads to make sure they are tight.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check your ECT sensor. I "think" the PCM uses the ECT for fuel/spark stradegy as well as running the temp gauge.

If the ECT is bad or there's a short in the wiring harness and the PCM suddenly sees a huge difference in temp it will change its strategy causing the car to run poorly.

I'm looking at the wiring diagram at the moment. If there's a seperate sensor for the gauge I'll post back in a few.

I would also check your grounds on the back of the cylinder heads to make sure they are tight.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the ect sensor and it still has the same issue. I swapped in a 370 this weekend and inspected the harness and didn't find any frayed or broken wires.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have access to a scanner or HP Tuners or the like. Was the car tuned after the head swap?

Quick Reply: Weird problem