Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Better handling

Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better handling

What type of performance feel can I expect to see from Strano's hollow front and rear sway bars? Car is a 2001 WS6 with 13k miles. It already has Strano springs and Koni 4/4.

I need an adjustable PHB too. Preferable on car adjustable. Which one Will do the trick since there are like 12 options with different ends???

Any other recommendation to make it handle better? I just bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports so that should help too.

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Nice car and combo.

For the PHB, you can use poly poly if you like things quiet. As you move closer to rod end rod end, you gain an increase in performance due to reduced deflection with a minor increase in road noise.

-- Ramey
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't go wrong with UMI. I have a roto joint on one end and a poly joint on the other on my panhard. Have you considered sub frame connectors? There are mixed opinions on them, but i really like mine. My car felt more solid after the install.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, already have the SLP subframes. Nice and heavy, lol, but they bolted on in 3 point as I did not want to permenantly alter the car with welding.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm if you wanted to spend some bucks you could get adjustable pieces up front. Look up the "STI killer" that gmhightech built. That car is a monster on the road course. If I had the money I would build a setup like that.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what can I expect from the Strano sways over the ws6 units currently in place? Anyone with experience on the swap?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen bits and pieces on that and very intrigued on what they did. I caught it after the mods though so I haven't been able to find early articles yet. I am ordering Forgelines in the next couple weeks so those additional front end mods will need to wait until later in the year. Which is fine as it gives me time to research. Do you have links to the articles by any chance?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have strano springs with bilsteins on my z28 and it made a big difference. I'm waiting on some strano sway bars that I ordered a couple days ago, they should be here any day. Cant wait to see how the car handles after the strano sway bars.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ramey,
Are there any downsides to this PHB with a single rod end and poly on the other side? Will this contribute to road noise ect...??? What is the difference with the roto end for a few dollars more?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=70&ModelID=8

Last edited by dws6; 02-11-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dws6
What type of performance feel can I expect to see from Strano's hollow front and rear sway bars? Car is a 2001 WS6 with 13k miles. It already has Strano springs and Koni 4/4.
13K miles!? Damn, lucky....
I did Konis first, then the strano front bar, then the rear bar then his springs in that order, so i can't tell you exactly the change you will feel since you already have his springs, but Ill tell you what I would expect. They should feel very similar to the difference you noticed from the springs, minus the change in ride quality. The car will be even flatter in corners, have less all around body movement/roll, and an increase in grip, higher cornering limits while being balanced about the same as now.
I need an adjustable PHB too. Preferable on car adjustable. Which one Will do the trick since there are like 12 options with different ends???
Honestly any one will do, Id go with a UMI on car adjustable, your choice of bushing.
Any other recommendation to make it handle better? I just bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports so that should help too.

Thanks,
Fays2 watts link if you want to skip the PHB all together. Definitely a neat little piece.
That and what you have now will make the biggest positive change in handling, everything else is minor.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ramey,
Are there any downsides to this PHB with a single rod end and poly on the other side? Will this contribute to road noise ect...??? What is the difference with the roto end for a few dollars more?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=70&ModelID=8
Poly on the body side and rod end on the axle side has some road noise isolation due to the poly and reduced deflection due to the rod end. It's a good combination of isolation and performance. Adding the Roto would cushion slightly better than the rod end but with similar performance.

With the PHB it's all good since the PHB pivots around the bolts and doesn't have to articulate (much).
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Thanks,
I noticed a big different going with Sam's bars. I too had Sam's springs and Koni's 4/4's. I had the on car adjustable panhard bar w/ poly/rod end and didn't noticed anymore NVH. I eventually went with the Watt's setup and took the panhard bar off. There was a huge difference in going with the Watt's just as going to Sam's bars. The only thing I don't have is SFC's and a STB(which I won't be buying)The car is on rails.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is a performance difference you can feel with the watts? I didn't think you would be able to feel it.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i've heard. A watt's link is one of the most noticeable handling improvements you can make.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks,
You'll deff feel the diff. The Koni/Strano is a great combo but like everything else when you mod cars is it exposes the next weakest link. And in this case it's the stock sway bars. As much as the handling was improved by the shock/springs it was the addition of the sways that REALLY took adj of that combo. Now if you can swing the $650 for the WattsLink I wouldn't even buy the PHB. But if the WattsLink is something you might get in the future the UMI: Poly/Roto-Joint PHB is a great buy for now and just sell it in the future.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow! Really.....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the watts makes that big a difference then I'll get that instead. Any clearance or fitment issues I need to be aware of?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes there was a big improvement going to the Watt's from PHB. The car is much more balanced. The car reacts the same turning left or right. The car doesn't oversteer like it did. You can change the roll center with the Fays2 of the car for more/less oversteer/understeer.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

If the watts makes that big a difference then I'll get that instead. Any clearance or fitment issues I need to be aware of?
No clearance issues...as a matter of fact the watts helps with exhaust clearance issues. Remember the WattsLink replaces both the upper and lowerf PHB's but you'll still need the Hollow Sway Bars.

If you call and order from Strano he can give you tips with the install. The wattslink needs to be installed properly for it to work properly.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO the instructions are a little hard to follow. I'm sure my ADD didn't help either. It's important the bars are the same length and there is something else that's really important but I can't remember what it is, its been several years since I put it on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better handling