Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS twins... reliable enough for a DD car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS twins... reliable enough for a DD car?

Going to be restoring my 2001 SS soon and wanted to make it a bit more special and the APS twin turbo set up seems pretty popular.
Not looking to make HUGE power, around 500-550 and would like to do it with forced induction on a stock longblock (maybe a turbo cam, but stock heads and rotating mass)

What are some problems specific to the APS twin turbo system that will need attention to if im daily driving it? I already have a 9" rear, so not worried about handling the extra power.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine since 2007 without issue. I've gone thru a few engines but my turbo setup has been bullet proof. About 6 months ago I upgrade to the aps extreme kit while I was at it I swapped out my aps oil pump for a Turbowerx unit. After 6 years its just a good idea imop. I've read some bad things about the Fbody turbos that aps provided but I have no first hand knowledge. The gto turbos are Mitsubishi units and very reliable.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was considering the APS kit as well when I decided to go with twins. After a ton of reading I decided to go with the CBR twin kit. There is no support for the APS kits anymore. So if you don't already have the APS kit see my sig. They are still there and aren't going anywhere.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

just looked at the CBR twin kit, its pretty pricey! Is it all inclusive (BMR k member, fuel system, ect..)? If it is, then I guess the asking price is a little more livable, but if not its kinda steep. seems like it might be geared toward someone looking for BIG power like yourself... I don't really have a need for 945 hp on the street!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be reliable . I've been running a twin turbo kit on my corvette for 2 years now and no problem whatsoever. but you still need to keep a check on things.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
just looked at the CBR twin kit, its pretty pricey! Is it all inclusive (BMR k member, fuel system, ect..)? If it is, then I guess the asking price is a little more livable, but if not its kinda steep. seems like it might be geared toward someone looking for BIG power like yourself... I don't really have a need for 945 hp on the street!

Yes the kit includes the k-member. It is proprietary to CBR. BMR had nothing to do with this kit. This kit is above and beyond anything to date for these cars. The price you see includes it being installed on the car. The fuel system is not included. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1549214
Try the link it should be one of the build threads with video.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

read every page of that thread, seems the 10k price tag is worth every penny... Im going to send them an email and see whats what!

Quick Reply: APS twins... reliable enough for a DD car?