Sponsored by:

emissions/intake leak/bad o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default emissions/intake leak/bad o2 sensor

I'm new to the community and I would appreciate some pointers

I have a 2000 TA. It has about 10k miles. It is in great shape, but the check engine light has been on for about a year.

I have SLP LT headers all the way to a cat back and LS6 intake with the EGR fabrication done by SLP.

I took it to a local shop to try to understand what is going on, and to try to tune it correctly so that I could pass emissions.

What I was told, and it makes sense, is that SLP used to modify LS6 intakes by adding the EGR ports to keep them emission legal. And this design was flawed and would cause vacuum leaks. When my car was looked at today, I was told the "fuel trim" was all over the place. The explanation was that there is leak around this EGR fitting.

I know the car has thrown bad O2 sensor codes in the past.

First question: Is there a easy fix for the vacuum leak/faulty EGR port into this modified LS6 intake? Can't I just RTV seal it?

Second question: Can't I just tune out the code?

I appreciate any explanation or pointers to threads that can help me understand my new car and this problem.

My goal for the car is to take off the SLP headers and go with Kooks LT to a true dual setup. I don't mean to start a thread on if this is a good or bad setup. It is a setup that I would like to do. I probably do a Fast 92 intake with a TB. I would probably add a mild cam if it would give me any additional power, otherwise I would not do that. I would tune the car and add SFC. I don't see myself doing much more than that.

thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

What code are you seeing that you want to tune out? If it's EGR related, you can certainly tune that entire system out. And if the vacuum leak is due to a poorly sealed EGR provision then switching to the Fast intake you mentioned will fix that. For now, you could attempt to seal the leak in the LS6 intake, if there is in fact a leak.

Vacuum leaks can and do cause poor fuel trims, so if there is a leak it will need to be addressed to get the engine running properly.

Quick Reply: emissions/intake leak/bad o2 sensor