Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Randomly running rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randomly running rough

OKAY! I feel like i've been making tons of post about my car being crappy lol. But, here is what is going on, I got a new fuel pump put in a couple weeks ago now and since I have had it back it has been making a really loud humming noise that you can even hear if you are outside of the car.

Before my car would run like **** after I would hit bumps, I replaced my pcv valve and grommet, and clamped down some other very loose vacuum lines. My car will start up and drive fine, now just randomly it will run like ****. I checked my lines just to make sure they were all good and they were. The only other thing I could think of now is the fuel pump just being bad from the manufacturer.

Could the bad fuel pump not be giving enough fuel to my motor at times, making it run like trash? Most of the time I can restart it back up just fine. I've had a lot of help on my previous posts and I really appreciate it, thanks.

Last edited by 94Firebird93; 02-13-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a way to install a cheap fuel pressure gauge? I put one on my stock fuel rail, mainly out of curiosity. That might tell you if you are losing fuel pressure.

Have you changed fuel filter?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RJDio
Is there a way to install a cheap fuel pressure gauge? I put one on my stock fuel rail, mainly out of curiosity. That might tell you if you are losing fuel pressure.

Have you changed fuel filter?
Alright, but yeah we changed the filter when we changed the pump.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM

I have heard of some Mechanics cutting a hole in the rear in order to get to the pump. Its an easier process but just pure laziness if you ask me, I have heard of times of some scrap metal getting into the fuel tank and running through the fuel pump and either damaging the pump, or clogging the fuel filter. But this is just a guess.

Quick Reply: Randomly running rough