LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Advance and Knock Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania soon to be Williamsport, PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Advance and Knock Questions

I have a 1994 Camaro Z28 m6 with k&n cai, pacesetter longtube headers w/ egr, cat-delete, ory-pipe, and slp lm1 exhaust. I ran my car on the dyno yesterday and put out 251hp/267tq so today i was doing some tests and checking how its running with a solus scan tool to make sure it is running healthy. My spark advance at idle is jumping around but at an average of around 26 degrees, what is the range one should expect on an untuned pretty much stock z28? Also, the solus had a "knock retard" section which read 0 and a "Knock" section that read 23 at idle, what would "Knock: 23" at idle mean?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

your good.......26 at idle is normal jumping around a bit is the pcm trimming the spark advance to keep an idle stable..........knock retard should be at 0 check it at WOT it should stay at 0......ORY and LT's can cause false knock also this can be tuned out in the pcm by a good tuner.......
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks boss, i guess i'll have madtuner tune that instead of getting the lt4 knock since i am not getting a cam until i decide if its staying or going. I am having it tuned for the 4.10's, performance tune for 93 octane/cai/exhaust, and i'll have the knock desensitized, anything i'm missing? His website says on a well maintained stock vehicle that is up to date on it's tune-up that with the high octane performance tune typical gains should be 13rwhp or more, what should i see as far as rwhp with it tuned for the cai + exhaust + high performance tune?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's normal for spark advance at idle, your numbers are wack tho I have 95 z28 m6 and it put down 272whp and 310wtrq bone stock cept for catback. Might need a tune
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
That's normal for spark advance at idle, your numbers are wack tho I have 95 z28 m6 and it put down 272whp and 310wtrq bone stock cept for catback. Might need a tune
Those cars vary a lot, as well does many a dyno.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

See THOSE are the #'s I wanted to put down if not a little more! I have pacesetter longtube headers, no cats, y-pipe and the slp lm1 is FAR from restrictive and a k&n cai w/ an aftermarket intake elbow, smooth bellow, and tb air foil and all you have is a catback, like wtf ! It needs the pcm tuned for the gears and wide-*** rear tires aswell as the high-performance high octane tune but i should have still seen higher #'s if you ask me. I'm hopeing the mustang dyno played a role in my dissapointment. The car sees religious 3,000 mile oil changes, trans fluid changed, diff. fluid changed twice, fuel filter every other oil change, k&n filter cleaned 15k miles ago and plugs and wires done 10k miles ago. I'm thinking about doing a top-end cleaner from GM or BG. I'm wondering if my fuel pump could be getting weak and not keeping up at WoT. What type of dyno did you get those #'s on?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

as i said in your other post and ill say again........
STOP RACING FRIGGIN DYNOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Spark Advance and Knock Questions