PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune needed if changing thermostat?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune needed if changing thermostat?

Just wondering if a tune is needed if I'm going to change thermostat from stock to the 160 and not much else is done to car as of now
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

R U going to change the fan settings? If so, then the tune comes into play.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, the fan settings should be changed to match a different degree thermostat. But why change to a different degree thermostat, especially with a nearly stock car? Arguably, it doesn't help the engine at all.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Yes, the fan settings should be changed to match a different degree thermostat. But why change to a different degree thermostat, especially with a nearly stock car? Arguably, it doesn't help the engine at all.
Depending on how the vehicle is used, it does help. Heat is the enemy and any 30deg drop in ambient temps cant hurt. It isn't like it is a 500 dollar mod, it is 14-30 bucks..

I like the lower temps, it is good on the wiring, it is good on heat soak, it is good on a lot of things.. Think of an oven being under the hood. Any temp drop is a good thing..

To answer the original post.

A tune is suggested. There are a few things that need to be changed.
One is to make it so you don't throw the code for too cold of an engine.
Second, you need to lower the activation temperatures for things like idle learning, and closed loop operation. They are important.
Third thing is for the Fan on and off temp need to be modified to match your target.

All very simple changes, but important.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Save yourself the trouble and don't change it. You
gain nothing on most motor setups. Fix the fan settings,
upgrade the radiator, clean the thing more than once a
decade, and you're good.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wait4me
Depending on how the vehicle is used, it does help. Heat is the enemy and any 30deg drop in ambient temps cant hurt. It isn't like it is a 500 dollar mod, it is 14-30 bucks..

I like the lower temps, it is good on the wiring, it is good on heat soak, it is good on a lot of things.. Think of an oven being under the hood. Any temp drop is a good thing..

To answer the original post.

A tune is suggested. There are a few things that need to be changed.
One is to make it so you don't throw the code for too cold of an engine.
Second, you need to lower the activation temperatures for things like idle learning, and closed loop operation. They are important.
Third thing is for the Fan on and off temp need to be modified to match your target.

All very simple changes, but important.
Yeah, depending how the vehicle is used. This isn't some race car I assume. In the OP's basically stock car its a waste of coin, 15-30 bucks plus 100-150 bucks for tuning, and it won't do a bit of good. The engine properly running at the factory stock temp is not an "enemy" on anything in any way. The engine actually runs best at the factory set temp.

Like jimmyblue said above, you gain nothing on most engine setups. If you're worried about the engine running hot, get a bigger, more efficient radiator and clean out the cooling system regularly.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is an LS1 I would not change it. I have not found aluminum block engines to make more power at lower temps the way iron block engines do. I first found that with my circle track sprint car engines on the dyno. It made the most power around 200 degrees coolant. At the time I was surprised, but figured it was the methanol fuel, so I stopped trying to keep it as cold for qualifying laps.
Later found the LS1 to respond the same way. The LT1 loves cold water. My race car runs quickest if I can leave the starting line with the water around 90 degrees. I found the LS1 to make the same power between 180 & 210 degrees. I found iron block LS trucks to still like cold water. I tell guys to not go colder than 180 if they feel they must change 'stats. I then set the fans to try to keep it about 190. I can not give you a technical explanation for the block material making that difference, but I have talked to engine builder that have found the same thing.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Temps

I agree with ED, and the other dont change it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune needed if changing thermostat?