Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal Spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Spring

Clutch pedal spring broke and popped out a little while ago. Now its like the clutch is flimsy right up until it engages damn near, where as before it was more stable-feeling. I wanna say stiff, but that as a negative connotation around here. But before, it felt right and now it feels cheap.

Where can I find a clutch pedal spring and how hard is it to install? Im taking the ol 'Bird in to get the clutch replaced and theyre also replacing the shifter. Im figuring maybe theyll replace the spring, if I can find one, and maybe do it for a small fee perhaps. Ive read it is a B*T*H to do the job. lol
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even use my spring. I pulled it out thinking it was binding up and causing my clutch pedal woes. Pulled the spring and made no difference. I've read plenty of threads over the years about people pulling their springs because they were binding up and causing the clutch pedal to act up. This is one of the first times I've seen someone want to put it back in. Most people I know run without the spring.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I never knew my spring was broke and gone until I replaced the stock POS master with a tick. Half of it fell down when I removed the kickplate porting on top of your knees under the dash. Never knew it was broke and gone.

You're supossed to remove it with the Tick unit anyway, but I don't know what all you're doing.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the Stage 1 Monster clutch kit with the GM Slave and Pilot. From what I've read, the master should be okay and if it goes, Ill get another OEM w/drill mod or mod it myself.

I just liked the feel of the clutch pedal with the spring. It felt "stronger" and more durable. Kind of made the clutch feel better, imo. But if you guys think its no big deal, and it could potentially cause issues, then F it. lol All I know is i was driving one day and I hurt something pop and hit my floormat, looked down and couldnt see anything, thought maybe something fell out of the dash, a rock or something. Soon after when I was cleaning my car, found a little spring on the floor and one side was broken, looked like it snapped or something. Oh well...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A search will uncover a lot of advice, but its all over the map on this topic. Most people will tell you to forget about it, but I feel your pain. I couldn't stand the pedal without the spring. Here's some hints: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rn-spring.html The part needs to come from a dealer. (Online dealers will sell it for much less.)

As pointed out above, when its time to replace your clutch, putting in a Tick M/C is a great option. It has a much more precise feel (once you get used to it) and you don't need the spring any more. (At some point, these springs will be discontinued and impossible to find.) I went with Tick and life has been much better since.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Launching!

I think my brother is on #4 in his Hawk. He hates it without it. Just the spring is dam expensive up here.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

I stand corrected... found out last night he's on #8! 6 warranty replacments and 2 "out of warranty". 80 bucks a pop up here as well!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Good lord thats ridiculous. Ill see how the clutch feels when i get it replaced and go from there. havent really found out where to get it or how to replace it yet anyway. Ive heard you have to lay in the drivers seat upside down and it can take a couple hours to replace the little slimy snake.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
Good lord thats ridiculous.
YES! It is. I even looked at getting a spring company to make me an improved one, but buying a $30 spring every couple of years was far less expensive. (High set up and inventory costs.)

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
Ive heard you have to lay in the drivers seat upside down and it can take a couple hours to replace the little slimy snake.
Your first time, yes. By the time you do it for the fourth time, it takes about 10 min.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Your first time, yes. By the time you do it for the fourth time, it takes about 10 min.
Ahahahaha. Thats funny
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Save the manuals!

I'm serious. My first time was 2 hours. My third time was 10 minutes.

Its amazing how one can build up muscle memory having upside down under a dashboard.

BTW - Its probably not a healthy practice. I had to do a similar move to replace shifter cables on a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird in -30* weather years ago. I ran the heater to keep warm and accidentally put the car in to gear while upside down. Long story short - my arm stayed under the dash as I flipped up to hit the brake and my shoulder ripped like a wing coming off a rotisserie chicken. Fast-forward about 20 years and I just wrapped up $35K of MRI's and shoulder surgery last month to fix things. Be careful under the dash - don't be like me! (insert emoticon for old fart here)
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I have also now been told that the Camaro set up is a little different and does not have this issue nearly as much as the Firebird. I thought they were identical cars to that respect... anyone shed any light on this??

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Spring