Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed Monster LVL 3. Shaking/banging. HELP.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Monster LVL 3. Shaking/banging. HELP.

Okay, so like the title says, just installed the Monster. So far, no problems with it. Here's my question/issue. Taking off from a dead stop, just day to day driving, if I don't launch semi hard, the car starts shaking and I get a loud banging. My buddy who did the work in his shop, said that when the car got dropped off, the two nuts attaching the UMI torque arm to the rear diff were missing. I've had this shaking/banging issue before, but not nearly as bad or as loud, and only at really low rpm/crappy take offs.

My theory is, that because the TA isn't properly secure (he installed a single nut he had laying around, but I'm guessing it isn't very tight.) The rear end is twisting and causing it to shake and jump, which is then causing my headers, which are within 1/2" of my subframe, to contact the subframe. At least, this is what I am hoping, so I know how to fix it.

What do you guys think?

I only drove the car about 15 miles back home and parked it. I plan on working on it first thing in the morning.

C.

Last edited by Carlisle; 02-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Carlisle
Okay, so like the title says, just installed the Monster. So far, no problems with it. Here's my question/issue. Taking off from a dead stop, just day to day driving, if I don't launch semi hard, the car starts shaking and I get a loud banging. My buddy who did the work in his shop, said that when the car got dropped off, the two nuts attaching the UMI torque arm to the rear diff were missing. I've had this shaking/banging issue before, but not nearly as bad or as loud, and only at really low rpm/crappy take offs.

My theory is, that because the TA isn't properly secure (he installed a single nut he had laying around, but I'm guessing it isn't very tight.) The rear end is twisting and causing it to shake and jump, which is then causing my headers, which are within 1/2" of my subframe, to contact the subframe. At least, this is what I am hoping, so I know how to fix it.

What do you guys think?

I only drove the car about 15 miles back home and parked it. I plan on working on it first thing in the morning.

C.
holy crap man lol, yes i can almost guarentee you its because those nuts are missing. i blew my rear end to a million pieces this past summer and right before it blew the same thing started happening i heard this really loud banging then one VERY loud bang and shaking, so i limped it back home and first noticed those 2 nuts missing. i dont know if it caused bad pinion angles to shred and bend everything to hell but i would get those on right away. after my new s60 swap lets just say ive been checking to make sure those 2 nuts holding the torque arm to the rear end are on and are very tight lol
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikh338
holy crap man lol, yes i can almost guarentee you its because those nuts are missing. i blew my rear end to a million pieces this past summer and right before it blew the same thing started happening i heard this really loud banging then one VERY loud bang and shaking, so i limped it back home and first noticed those 2 nuts missing. i dont know if it caused bad pinion angles to shred and bend everything to hell but i would get those on right away. after my new s60 swap lets just say ive been checking to make sure those 2 nuts holding the torque arm to the rear end are on and are very tight lol
Haha damn. Okay, I'll get new hardware first thing tomorrow. And some lockwashers/loctite. I was planning on it anyway, and I don't think I've done any damage to the rear yet, just had to get it home.

I can take off at a higher rpm, and not have any banging at all.

On an off note, the Monster clutch is great so far. It's still in it's break in period (obviously), but it's like stock when it comes to pedal feel. I need to adjust the master cylinder (I have Tick's MC), and fix the TA issue still.

C.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Haha damn. Okay, I'll get new hardware first thing tomorrow. And some lockwashers/loctite. I was planning on it anyway, and I don't think I've done any damage to the rear yet, just had to get it home.

I can take off at a higher rpm, and not have any banging at all.

On an off note, the Monster clutch is great so far. It's still in it's break in period (obviously), but it's like stock when it comes to pedal feel. I need to adjust the master cylinder (I have Tick's MC), and fix the TA issue still.

C.
i also just installed my monster level 3 w/flywheel and new gm slave and id have to say i love it. only have about 100 miles on it but i am pretty happy. i just have the drill mod done tho, no tick master. pedal feel is amazing compared to the ram powergrip hd that was in the car before
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

NOT FIXED. Got hardware for the TA, the one nut that was on there was good and tight, went and got the second and installed. Then started messing around with the pinion angle. It was at about -1*, so I put it to -2. Test drove it, I thought it helped. So I went anther half. Nothing. Went another half. Nothing. Did this two more times, and it didn't help at all. Zero'd it out, nothing. Went positive just to see, +1 the +2, no good. I jacked the car up to see if maybe where the TA mounts to the tranny was loose or something crazy, nope, it was good.

If I baby the hell out of the clutch, I can avoid the banging sound. It still shakes more than it should, but I have the ride the heck out of the clutch. On a normal take off it shakes and bangs. I set it back to -2* cause that's where I felt it was best at.

I DO HAVE VIDEO, and will post it on the original post.
*Can't get the video to load.
Help please.

C.

Last edited by Carlisle; 02-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

So turns out it might be clutch chatter. What do ya'll think?

C.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember test driving a Trans Am years ago. That was my only experience with clutch chatter. Everytime I started slipping the clutch to take off from a stop the whole car would shutter and shake and make a banging sound. Have no idea what type of clutch it was but it was similar to what you are describing.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

idk man but it could deff be something with your ring and pinion. when mine made those noises and blew up right after it looked lke a bomb went off in my rear end. i was missing half the teeth on my gears, my center pin whihc is billet steel and like 1.5" thick was bent like hell so bad that i couldnt even get the c clips off to remove the axles and my posi unit was just annihilated. so i dont think clutch chatter would be making that much of noise, i have the same clutch and it doesnt really chatter if you drive it right...and if it does chatter it is nothing like that. i dont know how good your driving skills are either lol so i guess anything could be possible
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I remember test driving a Trans Am years ago. That was my only experience with clutch chatter. Everytime I started slipping the clutch to take off from a stop the whole car would shutter and shake and make a banging sound. Have no idea what type of clutch it was but it was similar to what you are describing.
Ya the more I read on tech and talk to a few friends that have had clutches like this, the more I think it's chatter. Apparently it's just something you have to live with, and learn how to drive with (higher rpm take offs or babying the clutch). It's suppose to not be as bad after break in.

Selling the car is ganna be harder now haha.

C.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

idk man but it could deff be something with your ring and pinion. when mine made those noises and blew up right after it looked lke a bomb went off in my rear end. i was missing half the teeth on my gears, my center pin whihc is billet steel and like 1.5" thick was bent like hell so bad that i couldnt even get the c clips off to remove the axles and my posi unit was just annihilated. so i dont think clutch chatter would be making that much of noise, i have the same clutch and it doesnt really chatter if you drive it right...and if it does chatter it is nothing like that. i dont know how good your driving skills are either lol so i guess anything could be possible
I found a few videos of chatter on youtube and it's almost identical to what mine sounds like. I think my tranny mounts might be contributing to the noise as well. But I'm pretty sure its chatter. I set the pinion angle and made sure everything was installed right. Not much more I can do on that front.

Good thing I don't have a girlfriend, she'd hate riding in this thing haha.

C.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't mean to sound like a noob, but are you sure it isn't your exhaust hitting under the driver's seat?.....i've heard the Monster 3's can be pretty grabby......do you have poly motor mounts?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I found a few videos of chatter on youtube and it's almost identical to what mine sounds like. I think my tranny mounts might be contributing to the noise as well. But I'm pretty sure its chatter. I set the pinion angle and made sure everything was installed right. Not much more I can do on that front.

Good thing I don't have a girlfriend, she'd hate riding in this thing haha.

C.
well hopefully it is just chatter, i cant here how loud it is so i cant realy say. but yes -2 pinion angle is perfect. do you have a poly tranny mount or stock?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be the rear end or the y-pipe banging because why does it shake and bang when he takes off slowly slipping the clutch. But when he takes off more abruptly it's ok.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jc98ss
i don't mean to sound like a noob, but are you sure it isn't your exhaust hitting under the driver's seat?.....i've heard the Monster 3's can be pretty grabby......do you have poly motor mounts?
That's exactly what I thought at first too, but I only had it happen to me on the rare occasion before I got the monster, and I'm pretty sure that was because the old clutch was going out.

And I have stock mounts.

well hopefully it is just chatter, i cant here how loud it is so i cant realy say. but yes -2 pinion angle is perfect. do you have a poly tranny mount or stock?
I hope so too, stock.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be the rear end or the y-pipe banging because why does it shake and bang when he takes off slowly slipping the clutch. But when he takes off more abruptly it's ok.
I'm putting it on the lift tomorrow so I'll know for sure, got my buddy who's dealt with chatter before too. Not a Y-pipe, I'm running LT's and true duals, but I'm pretty sure it's not the exhaust.

C.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Chatter is worse when you are taking off slowly slipping the clutch. The performance clutch discs with a higher friction material and little to no Marcel spring make the chatter more noticeable under those conditions.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What rpm are you trying to take off @?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

So turns out it might be clutch chatter. What do ya'll think?

C.
that would be my guess. Clutches with non organic disc facings do hold better but the other side is they can "chatter" especially during the 500 mi break in period and also if they are a "puc" disc vs full face

part of the trade off when getting a more aggressive clutch. After break-in chatter should diminish but more to the point your engagement technique will need to adjust (rpm/release)

this chatter will exagerate any lose suspension parts that would make noise along with anything else that "hits" when the drivetrain shakes.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
What rpm are you trying to take off @?
Couldn't give you an exact rpm, I know the chatter usually happens the worst at about 1100rpm on the way down, after I begin taking off.

Originally Posted by ******
that would be my guess. Clutches with non organic disc facings do hold better but the other side is they can "chatter" especially during the 500 mi break in period and also if they are a "puc" disc vs full face

part of the trade off when getting a more aggressive clutch. After break-in chatter should diminish but more to the point your engagement technique will need to adjust (rpm/release)

this chatter will exagerate any lose suspension parts that would make noise along with anything else that "hits" when the drivetrain shakes.
Ya I did a bit more reading on puc clutches etc, and that seems to be the general consensus. I drove around all day today, burnt over a half tank of gas, just getting use to driving it. I've gotten to the point where I can take off with absolutely no chatter, and still have it be a semi normal launch. With my exhaust it's a bit louder than the general public is use to haha. I only get it to chatter when I do a real sloppy take off, usually on some sort of slope, and when I try and go too fast (release the clutch to quick). I still am going to rebleed the clutch, my buddy who installed the monster (I usually do all the work to my car myself, but it's winter and cold and I'm not that motivated) bled it, but I don't think he did it for long enough, or maybe after a bit of use I worked loose some air. Luckily I installed a speed bleeder, to make life easier. Also am going to readjust the master cylinder, thing engages RIGHT off the floor and kind of annoys me.

He (my friend) looked at the car today when I brought it by for him to look at, and he's sure it's chatter, but the banging noise he thinks is either my exhaust or my headers hitting the floor/tunnel. Only does it on the bad chatter. I'm running TSP 1 7/8" LT's and custom 2.5" true duals, there isn't a whole lot of room. He also wants me to get poly tran mounts, he thinks mine are worn out. Can I get those from a local store? Or do I need to order from the net?

C.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

what weight flywheel did you go with? Billet or light weight?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Monster stage 3 clutch chatter. It seems based on reviews on this site there are more bad then good and almost all involve insane amounts of chatter.

Stage I and II's have awesome reviews though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed Monster LVL 3. Shaking/banging. HELP.