Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Super Victor intake / air distribution.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Victor intake / air distribution.

I've been researching intake manifolds for my LSX 427 turbo with TEA/TFS 245 heads.

I have been considering a Edelbrock Super Victor, Pro Flo Xt, Holley Hi Ram.
The engine is for a GTO/ Holden Commodore and I think the Hi Ram will sit extremely high and require a large cowl and I'm not a fan of this look.

The Pro Flo only has a 90mm opening for a throttle body and looks like would be difficult to port for high H/P.

The Super Victor with a good elbow is regularly used for boosted applications and although It sits high with the elbow it would be easier to cover with a hood bulge or something like that.

Now my question is why do so many high horse power set ups use this style of intake manifold but most people say they are bad because of the poor air distribution?

What are the high H/P guys doing to their intakes to make them work?

Cheers.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gouldy

Now my question is why do so many high horse power set ups use this style of intake manifold but most people say they are bad because of the poor air distribution?
almost all of them run them because they saw another guy running them honestly. it is far from the best intake you can get for the money

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...em-solver.html

look for my post and go to the link on yellowbullet and read that thread. alot of things to be learned

my opinion would be to do everything you can to get a high ram to work if your trying to save a little money but if you have the money it be well worth it to get a sheet metal on for your setup
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SKULL
almost all of them run them because they saw another guy running them honestly. it is far from the best intake you can get for the money

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...em-solver.html

look for my post and go to the link on yellowbullet and read that thread. alot of things to be learned

my opinion would be to do everything you can to get a high ram to work if your trying to save a little money but if you have the money it be well worth it to get a sheet metal on for your setup
and you know that the hi ram has no air distribution problems how?

or that the vic jr has air distribution problems? or is this just regurgitated hear say?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gouldy

What are the high H/P guys doing to their intakes to make them work?

Cheers.
i dont see a lot of high hp cars using this setup

people dont say the super vic is bad because of air distribution

most people say the vic JR is bad because they read that online someone. these are people who have never even seen one in person.

you know you cant put anything online that isnt true, so if someone says it then its a fact.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
i dont see a lot of high hp cars using this setup

people dont say the super vic is bad because of air distribution

most people say the vic JR is bad because they read that online someone. these are people who have never even seen one in person.

you know you cant put anything online that isnt true, so if someone says it then its a fact.
Have you ever looked at the runners of a Victor Jr?

A Super Victor is a better intake than the Victor Jr, and the Holley High Ram seems to be better than either of those in forced induction application.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Have you ever looked at the runners of a Victor Jr?

A Super Victor is a better intake than the Victor Jr, and the Holley High Ram seems to be better than either of those in forced induction application.
yes, I have. I have been running a vic jr for two years and the distribution problems are greatly exaggerated.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
yes, I have. I have been running a vic jr for two years and the distribution problems are greatly exaggerated.
What combination? How fast?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I ran a vic jr. on my set up for 4 years. Never once noticed a distribution issue that was serious enough to warrant changing intakes. It did make good power though.

I've since moved to a super victor. I guess this **** won't work. lol
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 AM
9 Second Club

I have distribution issues with my super victor. It is hogged out to the max on both cars. The plugs look different on every cylinder. I will be pulling plugs after 1st time out this year. My BS3 can change fuel and timing in each cylinder individually. I will have to use this quite abit.

We had a GM carb style intake a few years back and we had to change every single cylinder to get it better in the combustion chamber.

Either way, you don't really know unless you pull the plugs. Even on a forced induction situation.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure it's not perfect, but all I was saying is that if the tuneup is good, it won't blow your stuff up like some think.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

It all gets a bit confusing with so many different opinions out there and when you spend a fair amount of money on the rest of the engine you don't want to destroy it because you made a poor manifold choice that's for sure
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Personally I wouldn't do a High Ram unless you plan on buzzing it high, say 8500+. If you look up KoolRayz he runs a AllPro 2-Piece Intake, and has gone 7.30s with a 88mm Turbo. Unless you go to a Marcella the Super Victor would be my choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

I run a standard victor jr since 2006 now, never noticed a problem with the distribution that concerned me. 30 lbs of boost and 1500 rwhp through at TH400.... I study my plugs after every event... fresh plugs, pull and read. I do tune conservatively too.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

The cylinder distribution is an issue on cars that are pushing the limits and need pin point accuracy on all cylinders with a PCM that isn't capable of handling individual cylinder adjustments. I ran a ported Vic Jr on my 403 with a 4150 Accufab TB and the cylinder distribution on it was horrible.

Sure you can tune in some error on the rich side so that the lean cylinders aren't to lean to keep average setups together but when you start pushing it on the edge of a certain fuel octane or hard parts you'll find out quick that the intake is one variable that I don't want as a variable. The tunnel ram style intakes don't have the distribution issues the single planes do. Equal length runners plays a huge role there.

If you look at a Vic Jr the middle 4 cylinders have alot shorter runner than the outer 4 cylinders do. This runner differences changes the VE of the cylinder. If you have individual cylinder control like most big setups do then it's a non-issue because they dial in fuel per cylinder with multiple widebands, plug readings and EGT gages.

I will say the Super Victor isn't nearly as bad as the Vic Jr.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
The cylinder distribution is an issue on cars that are pushing the limits and need pin point accuracy on all cylinders with a PCM that isn't capable of handling individual cylinder adjustments. I ran a ported Vic Jr on my 403 with a 4150 Accufab TB and the cylinder distribution on it was horrible.

Sure you can tune in some error on the rich side so that the lean cylinders aren't to lean to keep average setups together but when you start pushing it on the edge of a certain fuel octane or hard parts you'll find out quick that the intake is one variable that I don't want as a variable. The tunnel ram style intakes don't have the distribution issues the single planes do. Equal length runners plays a huge role there.

If you look at a Vic Jr the middle 4 cylinders have alot shorter runner than the outer 4 cylinders do. This runner differences changes the VE of the cylinder. If you have individual cylinder control like most big setups do then it's a non-issue because they dial in fuel per cylinder with multiple widebands, plug readings and EGT gages.

I will say the Super Victor isn't nearly as bad as the Vic Jr.
Thanks for your input James, what would you choose out of the three manifolds I am looking at for my engine.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

This is the before and after porting on my old Victor Jr. setup. A lot of work had to be done to try and even out the ports.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
This is the before and after porting on my old Victor Jr. setup. A lot of work had to be done to try and even out the ports.

Hmm that makes more sence.

Looks like its either a hi ram or the pro flo then.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Staging Lane

I have read that the ideal plenum size should be the same as the engine capacity ie 427ci= 7.0L plenum volume, does anyone know what the plenum volume is on the pro flo and hi ram?

Also I found a photo with the top of a pro flo cut off, I don't know if it was to port it, enlarge the plenum or enlarge the inlet opening for a bigger throttle body.

Has any one seen this type of modification before or have a link to any threads.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you read that thread lol

I have only seen a pro flow top cut off and someone made a custom top to fit under the cowl of a transam
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same concern as you I call Marcella manifolds and John made it clear to me about air disturbition .He made me a custom manifold for boost and it was built to go under cowl and still retain wipers.

Quick Reply: Super Victor intake / air distribution.