Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cam selection on 434 LSX- Procharged F1d ---

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam selection on 434 LSX- Procharged F1d ---

Looking at changing the cam on my setup due to some various suggestions but not sure if i should or not....

I have a 434 LSX 9.0:1 compression; procharger F1d @ about 16lbs; Mast LS7 heads; LS7 rockers with comp upgrade; 3" exhaust; on 93 octane

Summer driver and drag strip 2-3 times /month....

My current Cam is:
232/248 .610/.624 on 115 LSA... (all the info I have on this)

If it were you would you keep this cam or ditch and go something different... I like the sound and decent power 770rwhp... but my 4350lb car only does the quarter in 10.3.... seem it should be faster...

any help would be great!!! I am a newbie on cams selection (actually read tons of thread and info but i am more of a dumbie than a newbie on this subject. )..

also with this cam and ls7 heads... do you think stock valve covers would clear?... currently have granetelli tall billet covers and want some color vs polished and was looking at stock cover size... thx
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That cam isn't much larger than my blower cam. You're running more boost and am almost 100 rwhp lower in power, than a CTS-V we built at the old shop. The dyno sheet can be found at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...d-Camshaft.htm
We had fewer cubes as it was a 402, it has AFR 225 heads, a little more compression than you have, used the ProCharger GTO kit as the starting point with an F-1A, and 12.4 psi of boost. I realize they are two totally different builds, as your MAST heads flow some incredible numbers, have you thought about increasing the boost, provided belt slippage doesn't become a problem? Which intercooler are you using? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That cam isn't much larger than my blower cam. You're running more boost and am almost 100 rwhp lower in power, than a CTS-V we built at the old shop. The dyno sheet can be found at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...d-Camshaft.htm
We had fewer cubes as it was a 402, it has AFR 225 heads, a little more compression than you have, used the ProCharger GTO kit as the starting point with an F-1A, and 12.4 psi of boost. I realize they are two totally different builds, as your MAST heads flow some incredible numbers, have you thought about increasing the boost, provided belt slippage doesn't become a problem? Which intercooler are you using? Bob

Wow---- your numbers look great!! that is somewhat I expected. I have the upgraded procharger intercooler...3 core....
I havent thought about changing pulleys due to originally wanting to get power where it should be with boost i am running instead of hiding a issue or not optimal system. Would increasing boost make my setup better considering my other parts?.. the F1d also wont produce the high end power like the F1a per procharger due to it providing more low end power-- not sure exactly why but thats what they were telling me... would love to do F1a or F1r....
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
for a 434, would you consider my cam mild?... seems mild driving around and has alot less "lope" and sounds alot more tame than my 403 I had... I know I could tweak the cam to get better results but for the cost and trouble, would changing my cam make a big difference or just a bit?....
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by g8lover
Wow---- your numbers look great!! that is somewhat I expected. I have the upgraded procharger intercooler...3 core....
I havent thought about changing pulleys due to originally wanting to get power where it should be with boost i am running instead of hiding a issue or not optimal system. Would increasing boost make my setup better considering my other parts?.. the F1d also wont produce the high end power like the F1a per procharger due to it providing more low end power-- not sure exactly why but thats what they were telling me... would love to do F1a or F1r....

The customer of this V took it to another shops dyno day and it made 900 rwhp on their Dynojet, that confirmed the numbers for us from our Mustang Chassis Dyno. I was thinking that some added boost might help out your combo, you have an engine just begging for more boost. Bob

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by g8lover
for a 434, would you consider my cam mild?... seems mild driving around and has alot less "lope" and sounds alot more tame than my 403 I had... I know I could tweak the cam to get better results but for the cost and trouble, would changing my cam make a big difference or just a bit?....
Yes, I would consider your cam to be very mild for your engine combo. You do have a heavy vehicle though, so you don't necessarily want to take the power band up higher from where it is at now. I'd start by adding more boost, which will also bring the boost in sooner. Bob

Quick Reply: Cam selection on 434 LSX- Procharged F1d ---