Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Valve replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve replacement options?

I have seen that some have issues with the ls1 pcv valve in the f bodys. I found on the WS6 stores web site they have another type of pcv for a ls based truck engine I think? I guess there was a service bullitin put out by GM to replace the pcv with the truck version. Does any one know about this, and if I wanted to get one at the auto parts store, does anyone have a part # or do I ask for a certain year truck pcv valve?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just rebuild the system like everyone else... connect the back 2 valve covers with and then T off of that.. go nto a PCV valve, then to a catch can ($20 on flebay) and then from there to the intake... cost about $30 in materials
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The truck valve isn't actually a "valve" at all, it's just a hollow valve casing with a much smaller orfice at the end (3mm vs. 10mm for the original I think). I don't have the part number handy right now, but you'll know if it's the right one because there is no valve inside to rattle when you shake it.

Personally, I have just left the PCV system stock on my current LS1s. In the past I've gone through the trouble to modifiy the system, install catch cans and modified valves/mounting locations, etc. My current ones don't have any significant oil consumption, so I have chosen to just leave their systems alone - and after many years I've seen no ill side-effects from doing so.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACDelco CV4000C. Just ordered mine from Amazon, along with a trans mount and some ATP AT-205 to use on bushings. On a side note, I'm planning to rebuild my PCV this weekend. Already have the fuel line and catch can, and the new valve is on the way. Just have to get to the store to pick up the brass fittings.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpm ws6
i don't have the part number handy right now, but you'll know if it's the right one because there is no valve inside to rattle when you shake it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pcv valves remind me of the old points condenser ignition days if you look at the points
and there is no pitting then the capacitance of the condenser is correct and should only
be replaced when pitting occurs. PCV valves are the same deal new is not always better
one that is working right I will leave alone. 214,000mi on the one on my truck with a
5.3L. When working right the stock PCV sytem does a good job.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

what? no body mentioned the LS6 VC ?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

so it seems that just leaving it alone may be the answer, and/or placing the orifice type in the stock location would also be fine. What happened to all the hoopla over the catch cans that were all the rage a few years ago? Or is it over kill for a DD? What about when the plastic line that goes around the back of the intake manifold breaks apart, would then be a good time to ditch the stock setup, or replace it and stay stock.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 AM
TECH Resident

i ditches all my stock setups because these being 10+ year old cars the factory hoses are all deteriated and broken.. on my car the catch can traps about an inch of oil in between changes that would otherwise go into the intake and puddle up and burn off through the motor wich i dont like.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Agree with post above,also if you go to a dealer to get that hose piece they will charge you for the whole setup which isnt cheap,what i did was buy a universal one and some hose and did it that way,but im all for the catch cans
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianbanscak
What happened to all the hoopla over the catch cans that were all the rage a few years ago? Or is it over kill for a DD? What about when the plastic line that goes around the back of the intake manifold breaks apart, would then be a good time to ditch the stock setup, or replace it and stay stock.
Again, I did the whole catch can thing many years ago myself on previous LS1s, but this time around I just left the system stock and the engine runs just fine this way.

If the line is broken and needs repair anyway, then it would be a good time to make changes if you so desire. The replacement line from GM is expensive, but it's plug-and-play. If you want to make something custom from rubber line and various fittings, you can save some money.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the stock PCV setup, as pertains
to excess oil uptake and fouling of the intake, is the
"makeup air" path. At WOT there is a vacuum applied
to this line (the sum of airbox, filter and MAF pressure
drops), it is totally unchecked and will draw hard on
the oil fog in the heads. On an older vehicle you will
see a "snail track" from this port into the TB throat.
Despite that it's meant to be flowing -into- the case.

I put a small sump style fuel filter in this line, to strip
any oil out of the back-flow.

If the PCV valve still rattles when you shake it, you
can bet it's still good.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Jimmy you have a picture of what you are talking about with the fuel filter and also where at in the line did you put it
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

So who makes a nice catch can setup and/or who sells it?

Quick Reply: PCV Valve replacement options?