Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom(Homemade) Battery Cover (PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom(Homemade) Battery Cover (PIC HEAVY)

I had some time the other day so I decided to make a battery cover to cover up those ugly stickers on the top of the battery.

This is similar to the Fuel rail covers that I made a couple months ago. Those can be seen here:
Custom(Homemade) LT1 Fuel Rail Covers (PIC HEAVY)

I started off with a sheet of aluminum sheet metal. I went and measured the dimensions of my battery.

I used some metal snips to cut out my lines that I drew out onto the aluminum.

I wanted a little more detail so I decided to create a Lip on the front. My method of bending metal hasn't failed me yet so I clamped it down and used a hammer against the table to create a nice edge. (I'm sure you guys could find a better way to bend your metal.)

After I bent my edge I did a quick test fit before I began to sand and polish it.

I used an assortment of buffing compounds and a buffing wheel to polish it to a nice finish.

The paint I used was the Blue Duplicolor Metalcast paint. Its intended to be used on surfaces with a shiny surface.

After the paint is dry, some simple velcro strips will hold down the cover on top of the battery cover. Please excuse the dirt its still a little dirty from all the salt on the roads.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm inspired and will be doing this soon, thanks!

Quick Reply: Custom(Homemade) Battery Cover (PIC HEAVY)