Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom header kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom header kits?

Can you guys point me in the correct direction. I want to fit long tube headers into my Porsche LS1 swap, but most off the shelf headers hug too close to the block and I need something that spreads outwards more, so it can clear the alternator. The headers are being reverse mounted, so the collectors/exit will be facing towards the front of the engine.

Looking for kits or suggestions on what I can do to mock something up so I can give it to a muffler/exhaust shop so they can build me headers that will work and fit.

thanks.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
Can you guys point me in the correct direction. I want to fit long tube headers into my Porsche LS1 swap, but most off the shelf headers hug too close to the block and I need something that spreads outwards more, so it can clear the alternator. The headers are being reverse mounted, so the collectors/exit will be facing towards the front of the engine.

Looking for kits or suggestions on what I can do to mock something up so I can give it to a muffler/exhaust shop so they can build me headers that will work and fit.

thanks.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com
best "kit" there is

http://www.icengineworks.com/

or you can just do a guess and cut on random pipe and probably spend just as much in making a big pile of scrap without the kit.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I liked the cone engineering kits but I've never assembled one. The merge collector DIYs on their site are pretty interesting. If you aren't planning on building them yourself,, the con engineering kit is kind of irrelevant.
http://www.coneeng.com/tech_assist.html

That icengineworks kit is neat, but it's real expensive if you are only going to do one set of headers.

I was planning on mocking mine up using 1.5" PVC pipe, 90's, 45's, and duct tape, and approximating the bend radii when I cut the metal tubing. I figure I can mock up a whole header side for about $30.

I think if you are planning on having someone else make them, then just take the entire car there and have them do the whole job.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usdmholden
That icengineworks kit is neat, but it's real expensive if you are only going to do one set of headers.
you didnt ask which is the most cost effective....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
you didnt ask which is the most cost effective....
I figured cost effective went without saying. We are all driving LS powered vehicles here, not Porsches. Well, except for the OP, he's driving a Porsche.

Really though, cost effectiveness is why I put in my last comment. Dropping the car off and having someone make them will be just as cost effective as mocking them up and having them built by someone else.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely specify it, but cost effective is definitely something that would be in my best interest. Not really practical to spend $1k + on a header mock up kit when I am going to only use it once.

I may just take it to the muffler shop. I may still play around with the idea of trying to mock things up myself though, since I am somewhat picky sometimes.

-Don
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

When you are done with the kit you can send it to me, I will put it to good use fabricating my tall deck LS7 headers

But seriously, the most cost effective would be to get a set of el cheapo headers and modify them to fit your custom application.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
I definitely specify it, but cost effective is definitely something that would be in my best interest. Not really practical to spend $1k + on a header mock up kit when I am going to only use it once.

I may just take it to the muffler shop. I may still play around with the idea of trying to mock things up myself though, since I am somewhat picky sometimes.

-Don
If you mock up with 1.5" schedule 40 PVC tube, the OD of the tube is 1.900", and that's close enough to 1 7/8" or 1 3/4" OD tube headers to get a good estimate. You just need to take into account that your bend radii of the metal tubing will be larger than the bend radii or the angled PVC fittings when all the metal tubes are fitted together.

There are actually some how to videos on youtube of making PVC pipe header patterns.

Quick Reply: Custom header kits?