Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Throwour Bearing issues? Help Diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwour Bearing issues? Help Diagnose

Hello, im having a really weird issue with my transmission/clutch: I will randomly 'lose' my clutch pedal-it will take 10-20lbs to force the trans past the synchros and into gear (any gear) AS IF i have air in my hydraulic system and the clutch is not releasing all the way. Sometimes i can regain my clutch pedal (how, i havnt found a clear correlation: smooth pumping to regain pressure? let it cool-down?...) and the trans will shift smoothly for hours, days, maybe even weeks before it feels like the TOB travel is reduced again.

When the TOB 'goes out' and it is hard to get into gear: if i turn the engine off, put the trans in gear, depress the clutch pedal, and try to push the car it is just as effortless as when everything is working properly.

Before the obvious is stated the throwout bearing and clutch are properly adjusted, my scattershield was properly aligned when installed. The hydraulic system has 10,000 miles on it, the master has less than 3000 miles. Ive bled the clutch when it 'goes out' and i dont see any air in the line, the fluid looks brand-new as well. Ive had instances where bleeding the clutch doesnt fix this issue, but it usually does.

Im running a T56, stock Viper throwout bearing, Wilwood master cylinder, and Centerforce 'dual friction' clutch. Could There be an issue with the clutch disk? Could the self-adjusting mechanism in the throwout bearing be failing randomly and eventually regaining its adjustment?

Ive been fighting this issue for weeks and cant figure it out, any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

...Nobody has any suggestions??
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by all-AM-muscle
Hello, im having a really weird issue with my transmission/clutch: I will randomly 'lose' my clutch pedal-it will take 10-20lbs to force the trans past the synchros and into gear (any gear) AS IF i have air in my hydraulic system and the clutch is not releasing all the way. Sometimes i can regain my clutch pedal (how, i havnt found a clear correlation: smooth pumping to regain pressure? let it cool-down?...) and the trans will shift smoothly for hours, days, maybe even weeks before it feels like the TOB travel is reduced again.

When the TOB 'goes out' and it is hard to get into gear: if i turn the engine off, put the trans in gear, depress the clutch pedal, and try to push the car it is just as effortless as when everything is working properly.

Before the obvious is stated the throwout bearing and clutch are properly adjusted, my scattershield was properly aligned when installed. The hydraulic system has 10,000 miles on it, the master has less than 3000 miles. Ive bled the clutch when it 'goes out' and i dont see any air in the line, the fluid looks brand-new as well. Ive had instances where bleeding the clutch doesnt fix this issue, but it usually does.

Im running a T56, stock Viper throwout bearing, Wilwood master cylinder, and Centerforce 'dual friction' clutch. Could There be an issue with the clutch disk? Could the self-adjusting mechanism in the throwout bearing be failing randomly and eventually regaining its adjustment?

Ive been fighting this issue for weeks and cant figure it out, any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks!

My slave cylinder went out and overextended my TOB into the pressure plate (that was fun). Sounds like you're having the opposite issue, not disengaging the clutch fully. I would look into a new bearing or new slave (if you have one)
Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply, Like I said though 99% of the time the clutch is fine and I can drive it for 2-4 weeks before it feels like the hydraulics get air in the system (im not sure if this is what is happeneing). I need under an inch of travel for my clutch, but have a viper TOB setup which can push up to 1.5". I have the pedal shimmed for the proper travel. Nobodys had an intermittent issue w/ loss of pressure?? It seems like if I let it sit and not drive it over the weekend I need to bleed the system Monday morning (I never see any air come out of the bleeder).

Quick Reply: Throwour Bearing issues? Help Diagnose