General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Better choice of epoxy for headlight motor fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better choice of epoxy for headlight motor fix?

So in the past couple of weeks, i fixed the stripped gear in my passenger side headlight motor. When i put the gear back in and got everything back together, i used gorilla glue 2 part epoxy to seal the motor case back up. Well, its been a couple of weeks and noticed the cap on the motor fell off, causing my headlight to not close all the way. So my question, whats a better choice of epoxy or glue that i can use to fix this permanently?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i used some plastic epoxy i got from wal mart..........2 parts.......and that was 3 yrs ago......did not care for the epoxy that came with the rodney dickman kit
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i used some plastic epoxy i got from wal mart..........2 parts.......and that was 3 yrs ago......did not care for the epoxy that came with the rodney dickman kit
Plastic epoxy? Sounds like that might do the trick. You wouldn't happen to remember the brand by any chance? I heard rc car guys use like a plastic epoxy that looks like really thick black tar to build custom abs plastic bodies. I wonder if that's the same stuff.......
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont remember the brand.....but i dont think wal mart carries to many diff brands of plastic epoxy
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I had a horrible experience with this and ended up getting new motors with screw-on covers.

When I epoxied my originals, I lost a cover because I applied the epoxy sparingly. (Just in case I had to take the cover off again in the future.) Yep - I lost one of the covers.

The plastic on the housings are so cheap that they don't seem to take any adhesive well. I think in this case quantity is more important than quality. If I had to do it over again, I'd goop up an extra layer on the outside of the cover seam after affixing it to the body.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
I had a horrible experience with this and ended up getting new motors with screw-on covers.

When I epoxied my originals, I lost a cover because I applied the epoxy sparingly. (Just in case I had to take the cover off again in the future.) Yep - I lost one of the covers.

The plastic on the housings are so cheap that they don't seem to take any adhesive well. I think in this case quantity is more important than quality. If I had to do it over again, I'd goop up an extra layer on the outside of the cover seam after affixing it to the body.
See thats what i thought about doing! But i just didnt do it, thinking the epoxy i used was going to hold. Boy was i wrong. Oddly enough though, i found the cover in the area under where the motor is, it was just laying there. I was sooooo lucky to find it there. Hopefully the Loctite 2 part plastic epoxy works this time around and trust me...im going to put a lot when i put the cover on...and on the outside to really give it a good seal. Im tired of dealing with this problem.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i did not use a whole lot..............and its still holding up after all these yrs

Quick Reply: Better choice of epoxy for headlight motor fix?