Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolting tremec to a 05 ctsv ls6 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolting tremec to a 05 ctsv ls6 help

First off let me say I have been building and driving GM performance cars for over 40 years, mostly Corvettes, but I have never turned a screw on the LS engine, so I know I will be asking questions that have been answered over and over, so please bear with me.

I have purchased a 05 low mile CTSV Ls 6 with the T56 attached and all the accessories. I am installing it into a 63 Grand Sport replica.

I will be using a Tremec 5 speed because I don,t want to cut the tunnel up.

So my question is, what would be the best way to attack the flywheel, clutch and hydraulic throw out bearing system.

I got the entire ctsv hydraulic system pedal to slave cylinder with purchase.

Any suggestions welcome,
Jeff
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Are wanting to run hydraulic setup or use factory z bar setup? Z bar would be just bolt in.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

just get on lakewood's website and look at the page of quicktime bellhousings. they will have exactly what you need. texas motorsport has good prices on them
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

I want to use hydraulic system.

I will take a look at the Lakewood site.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be aware that you're limited to a 168t flywheel and it's dedicated bellhousing. I recently made that mistake! GM didn't make a small 153t flywheel setup and I now own an extra (useless) bellhousing. But I did finally manage to find an old-school big-block scattershield that works. Even that is tricky, because Lakewood, McLeod, etc list some as only fitting the 153t...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'm using the Sachs 1050 flywheel, a RAM Gen 1 SBC clutch, and a Mcleod hydeaulic throwout on my TKO/5.3. I have some generic bellhousing from a late 60's pickup that was laying in my friend's shed.

I don't recommend the Mcleod slave if you can use an external unit. Its too expensive.

Make sure you get the TKO upgraded. Mine has leaked since day one and 3rd gear is a bastard to find. Contact Liberty Gear to get it tweaked a bit before you put it in.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I know I have a lot to learn. It is starting to look like leaving the t56 in place and modifying the tunnel will be a better plan.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you havn't found it, this might help. The TKO would be the same as a 26 spline T10/Richmond.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I vote for using the 6 speed, but that is not your original question. I seems like I remember someone put a T56 in a C2 with little modification, maybe check the Vette forums.
Some other things to think about:
If you are staying with the injection/computer, you really want VSS output from the transmission for good drivability. The trans you pick should have an output or you need a converter box.
Hydraulics - The T56 uses internal (to the bell housing) and you just need to set up a clutch master. Other transmissions, if using a Chevy 421 bell housing, or aftermarket bell, I would recommend using a factory external slave (like a 80's Chevy truck), over the aftermarket internal slave. A manual Z bar would need a purchased/fabricated bracket for the engine side, and could need the frame side bracket to be moved.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
If you havn't found it, this might help. The TKO would be the same as a 26 spline T10/Richmond.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Thanks Gary, I found that write up after I ask the question, it pretty much covers all the issues.

Quick Reply: bolting tremec to a 05 ctsv ls6 help