Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

looking at a formula firehawk investment. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a formula firehawk investment. opinions?

Hey guys, new to the site obviously. I have the ability to buy what I think is a rare hawk and was curious what you guys thought about it from a value / appreciation scenario.I'm not new to f bodys, owned 3 but I'm not super familiar with hawks. I could by a less rare hawk and drive and mod it for less but I think this could have more collectibity. So in any event. Its a 2002 Formula Firehawk. 40k black on black manual trans. Ttops, leather, chrome wheels, blackwing airbox, auburn diff, 1LE suspension, slp exhaust, mats. looking at the numbers its one of seven formulas with the 1LE. Being that there where only 167 formula firehawks that year I think that it has some collectibity appeal. I'm open to any thoughts. Oh its $16k. I don't have any of the stickers and I'm not sure the build number.ThanksdumAlan
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

IMO you would have to hold it a long time for the value to go up and never mod it.
14 years more would make it 25 years old and at 100% stock I believe it would bring value to a certain collector.

$16K seems to be in the range but maybe get it at $15K and keeping the mileage low is the key. That's my .02 cents.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

If 4,000 miles YES, 40,000 miles NO. Not for a real long time anyway, and even then, it wouldn't be a huge money maker. You would have to put it in your garage and never drive it. Could you do that?? Do you want to do that?
The future is never easy to predict but if history repeats itself our LS1 F-bodies will indeed be worth decent money if mileage is kept extremely low and the car kept as close to stock as possible. Oh sure, you will get decent $$ for a 40,000 miles car in 25 years too but it's not going to be comparable to that near mint sub 10,000 miles car. Trust me, they will exist in 25 years. There are enough people that just buy these cars and put them away forever.
That Firehawk you describe sounds like a wonderful car to enjoy for yourself and drive for the next 5-10 years. You still might get $10,000 for it when you're done if you keep it decent. Now that would be a good deal.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these cars have bottomed out price wise. I think that car is probably worth 16k and if you drive it selectively it will probably still be worth 16k when it has 50,000 miles on it.

These cars are already going up in value for really clean examples. We are at the point where the junk cars are no longer in the same league as the clean ones. Same way Fox body mustangs were a few years ago.

You won't make a ton of money but I don't think you will lose any- and get to enjoy a fun car.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Car is THE worst investment you will EVER make. Take the same amount of money ANYPLACE else will return 10 times the amount. There really isn't such a thing as a car investment. Plus its a car.....ANY accident and it could be junk in a few seconds.

Buy to drive it and have fun, I just bought a 01 WS6 with 37k miles. It already has 42k on it..................I AINT savin it for anyone!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965GP
I think these cars have bottomed out price wise. I think that car is probably worth 16k and if you drive it selectively it will probably still be worth 16k when it has 50,000 miles on it.

These cars are already going up in value for really clean examples. We are at the point where the junk cars are no longer in the same league as the clean ones. Same way Fox body mustangs were a few years ago.

You won't make a ton of money but I don't think you will lose any- and get to enjoy a fun car.
Perhaps 10,000 miles won't hurt the value too much but why do I have a feeling that won't be the actuality. He will lose $$$ on this car most likely unless he does exactly what I stated earlier, which is putting the car in his garage and staring at it.

Quick Reply: looking at a formula firehawk investment. opinions?