Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer memory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer memory?

I have an upgraded 2001 Berger SS Camaro. I am going to an indoor car show. It is mandatory to unhook your battery. It lasts for 4 days. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems with my computer memory?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

This will not cause any long term problems nor have any permanent effects.

DTC test completions and some driveability settings that are learned will be reset, but that's fine because it will re-complete/relearn on it's own while you drive it. You can expedite the idle relearn by allowing it to idle untouched for 5 minutes at coolant temps above 176°F (M6 trans), or 5 minutes in gear and 5 minutes in park at coolant temps above 176°F (A4 trans).

If you are in a hurry to complete the OBD tests for emissions readiness, there is an OBD drive cycle process that accelerates this. Or you can just let it happen on its own.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I have a 65 corvette that I can work on but am not that familiar with the newer computer programs. What is the DTC test completion? Should I expect the check engine light to stay on.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Walton1292
Thanks for the information. I have a 65 corvette that I can work on but am not that familiar with the newer computer programs. What is the DTC test completion? Should I expect the check engine light to stay on.
DTC test completion is a series of diagnostic processes that run during normal driving conditions to test the various emissions and control systems. They will eventually run on their own, but you can expedite the process by following the GM/OBD drive cycle. As the tests run, the various emission monitors within the PCM will flip from "incomplete" to "complete", and if a monitor does not pass the preset parameters then the MIL will be commanded on (SES light). The only reason why you would need to expedite the completion of these tests would be to evaluate recently repaired components (checking to ensure that the SES light does not return when the monitor completes), or if you were in a hurry to pass a state EPA OBD scan test (which you cannot pass if all the monitors are still showing "incomplete") shortly after having the battery disconnected or resetting the PCM with a scan or programming tool.

A simple battery disconnect and reconnect would not be the cause of any MIL on (SES light) condition.

You would need a laptop plus OBD scanning software or a stand alone OBD scanner if you wanted to monitor test completion or check on specific DTCs that have caused an SES light.

I enjoy the simplicity of the older cars. I love the fact that all I need for tuning and driveability adjustments on my '71 is a timing light, vacuum gauge, and various wrenchs and screwdrivers. Take good care of your '65, those are beautiful cars.

Quick Reply: Computer memory?