General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Purple smoke under heavy deacceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purple smoke under heavy deacceleration

Googled this and basically narrowed it down to either valve stem seals or the crappy LS1 PCV system.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS with 91,000 miles, stock internals. Mods are Longtubes, 3" Xpipe dumped at the rear (no cats), deleted EGR and AIR. Never smoked when I had the factory exhaust with a 3" SLP catback, then I put the more open exhaust on it, and when I run it up to redline or so in 3rd or 4th gear, and let off, it lets out a decent amount of purple smoke until it gets back down to about 3500RPM. It goes through about a quart between oil changes (every 3000 miles). It only smokes in that circumstance. Nothing on startup, or when you tromp on the gas.

Like I said I'm thinking either valve stem seals or the crappy PCV system in these factory LS1's. I heard theres a way to upgrade to the LS6 system?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious why you would spin 4th gear to red line and then leave it in gear to slow down? Nothing wrong with using the engine as a brake every now and then, but don't do that.

I just dealt with my pcv sucking oil into the intake, you would most likely have a lot of detonation if it was smoking that bad. My plugs were covered in oil, but only the threads. My car also didn't smoke. You can get some rubber hose and brass fittings. Get a husky air compressor filter and put it in between the pcv valve and the intake vac port.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
Just curious why you would spin 4th gear to red line and then leave it in gear to slow down? Nothing wrong with using the engine as a brake every now and then, but don't do that.

I just dealt with my pcv sucking oil into the intake, you would most likely have a lot of detonation if it was smoking that bad. My plugs were covered in oil, but only the threads. My car also didn't smoke. You can get some rubber hose and brass fittings. Get a husky air compressor filter and put it in between the pcv valve and the intake vac port.
I don't run it to redline then engine break, its just that split second between letting off and putting the car in neutral. I was just trying to give you guys the rev range in which it smokes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya it sounds like the valve stem seals to me. you can add the ls6 pcv system by getting the ls6 valley cover and notching the block to make sure it seats correctly. theres a whole writeup on ls1howto. even then though a catchcan would be your best bet to stop oil consumption.

replacing valve seals isnt too bad you just need a good spring compressor and a tool to hold up the valves. then just pull the old seals off and install the new ones with a socket. with 91k on it you may also want to swap out the springs. if you are staying with the stock cam a new set of ls6 springs only costs about 60 bucks from scoggin dickey and would be a nice security bonus.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad valve stem seals will cause smoke upon startup if the car sits overnight. Sounds more like bad valve guides.

Quick Reply: Purple smoke under heavy deacceleration