Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am

Hey all, Mike from Northville, Mi here.

So, I'm a new owner of an LS1 Trans Am. This isn't my first firebird, far from it. This is actually my 12th, and my third fourth gen. But the first LS1 I have ever owned.
I set out to get a car that I could work on with my two sons, age 18 and 6. Having Firebirds in my blood, I decided to get the best: A 4th gen T/A with an LS1.
I wanted something that needed some work, but that ran and wouldn't become a lawn ornament. After about 4 months of looking I found a Navy Blue 2000 Trans Am with tan interior in Indiana.

It was female owned, hasnt had a spot of maintenance since 2005, and that was apparently the last time the interior was cleaned out.

On the bad side, she had run it into something, so the passenger side front fender is gone, and the nose is quite folded. No damage to the support structure though. And the interior has been pretty well ragged out.
On the plus side, almost zero rust (one small spot of surface rust just starting on the edge of one seam in the rear wheel well) and it runs. And the price was right. Picked it up for around $2500.
Has 128,000 miles on it. SERIOUSLY needs a tuneup, its setting an engine code for a blocked catalytic converter, and has one WICKED hesitation if you put the pedal down. But all of the options excluding the CD changer work, including the power antennae. So, on to the pics:

Gave it a pretty good "trial by fire", its about 280 miles from where I bought it to my front door. Drove it the whole way, no problems. Going to do a complete tune up on it in a couple of weeks, started stockpiling parts to fix he front end. For the moment, I just want to get it back into one piece and running better. After that will come the modding, etc. I have some very interesting plans including doing the shaker mod, some VERY unique under hood lighting, and completely redoing the interior in Midnight Blue LEDs. Oh, I probably should have mentioned, I work for an LED manufacturer. So I probably will be doing more interior and lighting mods than actual performance mods.
Attached Thumbnails New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am-new-dusk.jpg   New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am-dusk-side.jpg   New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am-dusk-tail.jpg   New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am-dusk-damage.jpg  

Last edited by Akodo; 02-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy! Let me know if you need any info on any shaker topics.

Quick Reply: New owner from MI, 2000 Trans Am