Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Educate me on Prochargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Educate me on Prochargers

Well as the title says im a complete noob when it comes to forced induction. But i'd like to think about a kit on my 2001 Z06 for the later future. As far as my goals are i'd like a 100% reliable street driven car even after install. I'm familiar with the sizes on the kits and their potential via the procharger site. How much a basic kit run for my car (P1 D1). Other than whats included in the kit, will anything else be needed to be done to my car beforehand. I know i sound pretty dumb but i'd like to do my homework on this before dropping the dough on a high dollar mod. Any feedback would be appreciated.

As for the car its just a 2001 C5 Z06 with a catback and tune.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injectors, FUEL PUMP, tires.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The question is a little vague. In reality, you need to have some idea of what power you want.

The harder you push, the more risk on a stock motor. The harder you push, then you may need a clutch upgrade, although there's a good chance you'd need that at some point anyway

The two most popular over on the Vette forum are A&A Corvette and East Coast supercharging. Their primary blower ranges are Vortech and Paxton respectively. Although I think they still offer some kits for Procharger units too.

Discuss your goals with them, and I'm sure you can both come to an agreement about what is needed and a price.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 02-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Teching In

I'd like to be somewhere in between the 500-600hp range.
Sorry i know i'm not really supplying enough information, just trying to learn.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
I'd like to be somewhere in between the 500-600hp range.
Sorry i know i'm not really supplying enough information, just trying to learn.
I understand. It's just there really are so many options and a 50hp difference in goal could make a huge difference in the build and overall cost.

That's why best to discuss with the experts, you can give them an idea of where you want to be, and your budget of course. And whether there needs to be any future proofing built in, in case you decide to push further at a later date.

I'd always say buy a blower that is bigger than you currently think you need. Because chances are, you will want more in the future !

Of course, asking around might also see you pick up a used kit of someone is upgrading, so there could be savings to be had
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We install lots of A & A Corvette Vortech kits. Their kits are complete, easy to install and everything lines up right. I recommend going this route unless you are going full race.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 7 grand you can have a D1SC kit (capable of easy 700-800)

D1SC headunit. ---tried and true. 67k rpm i believe. 4.40 step up ratio.

AN 8 RIB SETUP (MORE RIBS EQUALS LESS SLIP)

FMIC--better looking under the hood, cooler charge temps, (would require you to cut open the fascia some especially with TA so air could pass through it.

60lb inj ( more than enough injector to get you to the power level your seeking)

ATI 7.65 super damper

Piping

Big Red Race valve (bypass to relieve backpressure/surging)

belt

blower pulley

racetronix hotwire fuel pump (550+rwhp capable)

Crank pinning kit-----crank has to have pieces of metal put in to keep the pulley from spinning since the factory cranks do not have key ways cut in.

instruction manual.

great tech support.

it can be installed in a weekend.

the only thing it does not come with is a great tune. it is complete. IMHO the vortech setups make more power. I am not sure if they have self contained oiling like the prochargers do though. I don't like the idea of tapping the oil pan. etc....

swap the injectors only when you are just about to tune. drive it gently to wherever you need to go (basically keep it away from building boost @ only 2-2,500 rpm)

prepare to pay 450-700 for a good tuner.

Bob @ brutespeed can take care of you when your ready.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Vortech offer the V3 and some others in self contained now.

Really, as far as brands go, there is nothing between them. They all make great units and they can all produce results. The head unit is almost the least important part. The belt drive, brackets etc are the most important for making a reliable kit. But all of the above mentioned names and sellers have been there and done it, so anything they offer should be fully tried and tested
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out my budget build. I have everything listed that you need. I plan to make a procharger write up soon also

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...get-build.html
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys you are very helpful.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Last month I installed a D1SC Procharger with the upgraded 8-rib pulley set on my friend's 2003 Z06. The only mods on this Z06 were Corsa mufflers and a Spec Stage II clutch that I installed.
Yesterday he took it to the dyno and put down 548 rwhp, through stock exhaust manifolds and cats. Boost was showing 10 to 11 psi. I tuned it for around 11.5 afr and 14° advance. We increased the pulley size to 5.00" to keep boost down on his stock engine, but it still peaked around 10 psi. I'm sure the stock exhaust is causing some back pressure. This car is a blast to drive. With a stock cam and quiet exhaust it is very docile cruising in town. The linear power curve that pulls all the way to red line feels very nice.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maxx, come out to the Kemah show at Home Depot on sat night and I'll give you the low down on supercharging a Z06.... all the UPS and DOWNS...

Pull your wallet it out is all I can tell ya.... Buying the kit is the cheap part...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

unless u plan on doing the bottem end anytime soon, i wld stay away from a d1sc, U are gonna find that anything over that 500-550 mark is gonna jump u up in to a whole other category in fuel system not to mention your stock bottom end will not last long w the boost thats gonna be required too get over 600rwhp, Unless u plan on spending way over 10k i wld stay away from that 600rwhp range on a stock bottom end.First and foremost take a look at the stock bottom & boost reliability list.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
unless u plan on doing the bottem end anytime soon, i wld stay away from a d1sc, U are gonna find that anything over that 500-550 mark is gonna jump u up in to a whole other category in fuel system not to mention your stock bottom end will not last long w the boost thats gonna be required too get over 600rwhp, Unless u plan on spending way over 10k i wld stay away from that 600rwhp range on a stock bottom end.First and foremost take a look at the stock bottom & boost reliability list.
He could do what I'm doing and go d1sc and just run low boost util he wants to build the engine for more boost. I'm planning to run 5psi on my d1sc and once tranny and engine are built i will up the boost
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Yup, IMO it would be a waste of money to buy the P1SC, it just leaves nothing for the future.

buy a bigger unit and just spin it slower.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Launching!

So, if you are limited by a 10 bolt and tires, and not planning on going over 7 psi, is there any point in going with a D1SC for lower discharge air temperature? And yes, when you sell the car all that is needed is a pulley and injectors/fuel pump and tune!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I totally agree w u abt p1sc being not good for the future, but thats whats nice abt the classifieds. Alot of people will hit that 500rwhp mark and are totally happy with it. Probably more people want more, for me that 500rwhp mark is where all the serious money comes out tuning, suspension, tires.......its a long list rear end , tranny do i need to keep going, those of us that are over the 600rwhp know that its buying 1 thing after another to make it hook or to make it not break. But yes i do agree with u if he has plans for the future yes D1sc for sure.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

If you get a Procharger you will do yourself a favor by buying atleast the D1SC. Keep the boost low until you feel froggy.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Agreed ^^^
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Well as the title says im a complete noob when it comes to forced induction. But i'd like to think about a kit on my 2001 Z06 for the later future. As far as my goals are i'd like a 100% reliable street driven car even after install. I'm familiar with the sizes on the kits and their potential via the procharger site. How much a basic kit run for my car (P1 D1). Other than whats included in the kit, will anything else be needed to be done to my car beforehand. I know i sound pretty dumb but i'd like to do my homework on this before dropping the dough on a high dollar mod. Any feedback would be appreciated.

As for the car its just a 2001 C5 Z06 with a catback and tune.

Thanks
Send me an e-mail to brutespeed@gmail.com requesting a copy of the ProCharger installation instructions and I'll e-mail them back to you. Over the phone I can give you a much lower price for these systems than ProCharger allows in print. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Educate me on Prochargers