Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

clear peel question

Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clear peel question

My SOM t/a has a little clear coat peel on the spoiler under the sail panel on the drivers side. Is there anyway to fix this or am I SOL? Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a spoiler repainted?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOL haha. You need to have it repainted, probably range between 300-600.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately there really isn't any quick fix for clearcoat failure. You'd be well served to bring the car to a well respected body guy in your area and see what he'd charge you to clean up the entire car imo.

I did the exact thing with mine, and while it did cost me a pretty penny, my car looks brand new again. No more road rash, chips, dings, nothing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

thanks. I plan on having the car repainted in the next couple years so I may just hold off. It is kind of annoying to see it though
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Yes alot of the times with situations like this its alot smarter to wait for a repaint than try and patch the paintjob up. Depending on how much they would charge for a little spot like that though you might find it more worth it for yourself to do it now for 200-300.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

My hood's clearcoat is peeling aswell, but the rest of the car still looks decent IMO. However, i figure if i paint it, its gonna stand out much more and make the rest of the car look bad i think. So im also saving up to paint the whole thing instead.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

If you want to get it done just tell them to match it to your outside paint. They should know how to do it, we used to use a color wheel but alot off places have guns that they scan your paint with and will come up with the mixture.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

can they make a black color that looks 15 years old? lol the paint just looks old and uncared for. No matter what color they use or make, the hood will look brand new and the car will show its age.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
can they make a black color that looks 15 years old? lol the paint just looks old and uncared for. No matter what color they use or make, the hood will look brand new and the car will show its age.
Absolutely.

One possible reason for your paint looking dull is improper care (please don't be offended, this is an extremely common occurance). Has the vehicle been compounded or polished at all since you've owned it? Many times a proper detail will take care of defects (with the exception of very deep ones) and will restore the finish to a wet look.

A skilled body guy can match colors without much problems. A skilled detailer can level existing defects to match the newly painted or repaired areas. What area do you live in? If you're in the bay area, I would immediately contact Jeff (GoFast908Z) and get a quote. He is an immensely talented and well respected detailer in the industry. If I lived in that area, I would most definitely do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clear peel question