Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Catch Can has some smoke/vapor

Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can has some smoke/vapor

Been researching this for about an hour but wanted to verify. You know how that goes. Ran the car this weekend and set a new best. It was at low boost. Car is running fine, still builds boost easily, nothing out of the ordinary.

Except....I now have some vapors/white smoke coming out of my breather on my catch can. When I first fire up the car you can definitely see the condensation coming out the exhaust but it goes away when the car warms up. The smoke/vapor is not much and is only at idle or when I come to a stop. When I am romping on it, it is not there.

This engine had a 180,000 miles on it when I got it. I was wanting the looser rings. Anyways, I checked the plugs and they all looked the same. Very clean but not glowing white or anything. I went to drain the catch can and it was more full then normal with water or E85. Whatever the can seperates. It looked like water but had a little fuel smelll to it. It was about 2 caps full. Usually it takes about a month to get drained. This was my first time with it at the track and didn't think about draining it after each day. I made 7 passes on Saturday and 7 on Sunday plus a month of driving it.

The radiator is still full and I don't use a thermostat. I have the catch can set up with two -10 lines that go from the back of the drivers valve cover to the can and then the can to the port at the front of the passenger valve cover. I have the stock cap for the oil fill tube.

It's not that big of a deal but was worrying me enough to search and post a new thread. Again, car drives fine.

I just figured that I was getting a little blow by. With a 180,000 miles I should probably be more surprised it wasn't already smoking. One of my ideas was to NOT use the passenger valve cover and just run it to a bung on my down pipe with a check valve, like the Moroso set up. Would that work? I don't mind it too much but my kids ride with me a lot and wanted to get rid of it if I can. I also thought about adding a second catch can. That would look cool. lol Would you run them together or one catch can to each valve cover?

Thanks.

FWIW. The smoke is not blue it is like a white vapor and has a hint of burnt oil smell. It is not coming out my exhaust once the car warms up. It just started after my final pass this weekend. The car is NOT over heating or running very warm. With the cooler temps outside the car runs very cool when driving it around.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done a compression or leak down test yet? I would start there with both of those, that will either eliminate or explain most anything
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both were fine. at least nothing abnormal about a 180,000 mile engine. Compression test was within 5 pts of each other.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me when i was NA when i tore the motor apart found a ring land was cracked. I did not burn oil out of the exhaust only smoked out of the breather.(white smoke) I had fun with it the rest of the summer till i decided to go FI and the cylinder walls were fine.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats normal
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured it was but it didn't do it when I initially drove the car on Friday. I think it was because it was full. No smoke out the exhaust at all except some moisture when you warm it up.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

noticed mine recently collecting alot more condensed liquid and steaming when warm and it caught my attention, same exact symptons. not saying it didnt do it with the stock motor, just didnt notice. im going with normal.

did compression test, checked plugs, changed out oil. no issues, car runs like a champ. figure its just a side effect of no pcv system.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is humidity a possible factor now that winter is coming to an end?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Smoke/Vapor is normal

The vapor is moisture in your oil. Its natural and engine heat boils it out of the crank case.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing right before I broke 4 pistons. Ringlands all let go.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

if you checked all that like you said, I would not worry about it. I am putting mine somewhere under the car, possibly in the rear so I dont have to worry about looking at it, and confusing it for something else.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's normal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catch Can has some smoke/vapor