Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

3-way Speakers

Old 04-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-way Speakers

I went out and bought a pair of 6x9 Sony 3-way speaker (100W; 350WPeak, 4Ohm). I bought them because I didn't have my TA (2002 WS6) with me and thought that was what was already there. Now, it is obvious that there is 4" midrange and small tweeter. I hooked the 6x9 up to the wires where the 4" was, and they are at least working. My understanding about a 3-way is that is has the tweeter built in. Should I leave the stock tweeters in, take them out, do something with the wires, etc? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 PM
wrencher

Go to the top of this forum to the "sticky post" those who want to upgrade their moonsoon speakers.....
Old 04-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrencher
Go to the top of this forum to the "sticky post" those who want to upgrade their moonsoon speakers.....
I already read that and it does not answer my question, which is what is the result of replacing the 4" mid-range with a 3-way speaker, do I still need the 1" stock tweeter?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Launching!

I would ditch that factory 1" tweeter. The tweeters on your new 6X9 will be much louder, clearer, and more sensitive. Oh yah, are you putting the 6x9's in the stock lockation of those factory 4 inchers in the rear hatch area?? If so are you using an adapter or just cutting out the space yourself? I would love to put 6x9's back there but i never thought there was enough space.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Teching In

I am going to have to cut the panels. After looking at the panels I realized that they are not very easily converted to a 6x9 speaker because the strut hinge from the hatch comes down almost right on top of the speaker. I think I am going to build a custom speaker box to hold them and just cut a section out of the panel for the box.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

OK, maybe this is a dumb question and you can feel free to tell me tro mind my own business...

So, you bought 6x9s thinking that they were in the back but you found out that not only were they not the right size but you would have to custom make the mounting to get them to fit at all. Why wouldn't you just take them back and get a set of speakers that fit? Especially since oval speakers (6x9s) will never be as clean sounding as equivalent round speakers. Not to mention that we're just talking about rear fill so you shouldn't really be noticing the speakers back there anyway.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

we are talking about the speakers in the hatch correct? if so did you measue the depth you have from the wheel well to the "custom" mount that you are going to make?

you may wanna check that before you go making stuff
Old 04-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
OK, maybe this is a dumb question and you can feel free to tell me tro mind my own business...

So, you bought 6x9s thinking that they were in the back but you found out that not only were they not the right size but you would have to custom make the mounting to get them to fit at all. Why wouldn't you just take them back and get a set of speakers that fit? Especially since oval speakers (6x9s) will never be as clean sounding as equivalent round speakers. Not to mention that we're just talking about rear fill so you shouldn't really be noticing the speakers back there anyway.
Impulsiveness, I guess. Ive already cut the oanels for the 6x9, but I don't like the way the hatch strut rubs against the speaker. Also, with a custom panel, I can put any size speaker(s) there. I found out the 6x9s I purchased where crap anyways and did take them back. I am now considering either Kicker 6x9s or MB Quart component to put back there instead.

Yes, Rear Hatch.

Search this Thread