Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do with the stock engine harness with a LS1 powered '73 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what do with the stock engine harness with a LS1 powered '73 Camaro?

Hi guys, I', now ready to drop a newly built LS1 into my '70 (with a '73 wiring harness), what do you usually do with the stock wiring harness? especially the starter and the alternator?, basically, I need to know what to cut away and what to keep?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What LS1 year and model is the harness ? is the LS1 harness moded or new and build as a stand alone harness?

You can wire up the Starter as is with the 70'/73' Camaro would be. Just eliminate any wire that when to the coil/resister from the starter. You just need the Battery and the purple wire from the Ign Key (start).

You can do away with any of the old Ign coil wires.

For the Alternator, it should be wiring it up to the LS1 harness and PCM. Just attached the +12v charging terminal to the horn relay or directly to the battery if you want.

You don't need the LS1 oil pressure signal to start and run. I usually put the oil sender in the LS1 oil sender location and that way your Camaro gauge or idiot light will work as before. Use an adapter or do what I have done. Use the LS1 sender as an adapter, break off all of the inter and plastic parts, use the lower alum part and drill and tap to match up with the Camaro sender.. then wire it up as the Camaro would be.

What are you doing or if you are using AC ?

Hope that helps on the start, alternator and oil sender, let me know if you have other questions.

BC

Quick Reply: what do with the stock engine harness with a LS1 powered '73 Camaro?