Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch out/broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is my clutch out/broken?

Ok Ls1tech this is my first post, and I am in in need of some advice/help.

The car is a 2001 Z28 6-speed.

The car makes a noise that is really hard to explain like a grinding/rattling, you will have to watch the video to hear it, it only does it when it is in gear and the clutch is out. If the car is on a flat surface, and I put it in gear and ride the clutch I can get the car to move forward or backwards, but only real slow, under 1mph. If I release the clutch all the way in any gear it makes that loud sound, and will not move or stall, it will just sit in gear making that sound.

If the car is on a incline (IE my drive way) you can feel the car try to move, but then it just starts making that sound. When the car is on it will not let me put it in gear unless I push in the clutch. Also when the car is on and in gear, when I push in the clutch to take it out of gear or put it in gear it makes a pop/clack sound.

I'm thinking the clutch is out/broken and what I'm hearing is the clutch disk rattling. I have just never heard a clutch make that sound before, and that is what is making me second guess it.

Any input??

Last edited by HumanTT; 02-27-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Teching In

This is just a GUESS. The trans input shaft has sheared its teeth off or the center of the disk is broken.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the clutch out and see if the hub springs are broken or the pilot bearing is trashed.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm willing to bet you destroyed your pilot bearing. You'll probably want to swap that clutch too
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM

If the pilot bearing was bad could that really stop the car from moving, or are we just talking about the sound it is making? When I replace the clutch I'm going to replace rear main seal, clutch, flywheels, pilot bearing, slave cylinder and add a remote bleeder. Do everything all at once.

I did get around to pulling the transmission tonight, it does look like the clutch is gone, the clutch disc is very smooth. My question is could the clutch disc be the sound I'm hearing, could it be spinning the clutch disc in gear?

Quick Reply: Is my clutch out/broken?