Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC or Meth Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC or Meth Injection?

Hey guys! I am looking for some opinions.

I have a Vortech supercharged LT1 car. It's an S-trim unit right now making 7.5psi non intercooled. My motor has internals and is able to handle the boost, but currently I only made 360/360 and I believe it is because my tune is way rich. (Smell fuel on cold starts, blows a little black smoke when I jump on it)

I'm going to be getting some money this Friday and want to get my car straightened out with some good power so I am going to be taking it somewhere for a professional dyno tune that knows what they're doing.

My dilemma is that before I spend all this money for a dyno tune, I feel like I should add a form of intake cooling as well as run a slightly smaller pulley. I want to run around 10-12psi.

As far as cooling goes, I know that technically a FMIC is more "reliable", but I will only have enough money for one or the either. And I believe methanol injection would be a lot more consistent and efficient way of cooling the intake charge. As well as much easier to install as obviously there is no "bolt on" front mount intercool for our cars.

What would you guys recommend? Keep in mind this car is not my daily driver, it will only be taken out occasionally for the track or car shows/cruises. So im not too worried about having to pay for meth.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Also who is reputable for tuning boosted LT1's and familiar with the F.A.S.T setup in the tri-state area here?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You need a intercooler so get one. You can get a meth kit later.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

my tuner who sells prochargers , i have a p1 on my 99 with the 6 rib kit and 3.5 ics said he rather use meth than the 3.5" intercoolers. I assume each tuner will be different.But now that i want to add meth its gonna cost me 450 more for a retune since more has to be changed.

If it was me i would do the meth kit and then maybe next year add a fmic .
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Teching In

So I have two different answers here. haha.

@ramairetransam who tuned your car? I wouldn't mind driving to NY if they knew what they're doing.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Tony Coppola
1 Timber Trace
Ballston Spa‎ NY‎ 12020
United States

Coppola Motorsports

He did my car and is great. He even played with my car when my stock maf when bad and did it for free.

He did my buddies procharged Trans am. He is really a great guy. If you want his number ill give it to you. You can tell him jeff kline with the white procharged formula told you about him.

He is very fluent with lt1s and goes to tuning classes I think he said 4 times a year to stay fresh on everything.

Just an FYI If you have him tune it he will keep it 2-3 days so he can leave it outside all night and then cold start and drive. Wait till its hot out and drive again. He does great work.

My car came in so lean from another tuner the first pull has to be aborted. The car went from 386 and sluggish after a shift to butter smooth no lugging and drives like stock to 420 on 4 lbs
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

I think intercooler first, meth can get installed later. Nothing mechanical to worry about with the intercooler.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both! but FMIC first.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I emailed the shop and mentioned your name.

And it looks like I'll stick to the intercooler idea..

I already found a decent one for $90 but I have no clue how to go about buying the right piping kit.. I don't wanna have to buy two piping kits to have the right stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just look at prochargers pictures of their frontmount and count the angels and bends. that should give you an idea on kit size and what you need
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

since you have an lt1 are you going to cut a hole in your nose for more airflow.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Most likely.. as much as I don't want to I feel like just taking the foglights out isn't going to cut it. Unless I build some sort of air deflector underneath.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Ok so upon some researching and online browsing, I came up with another idea.

Obviously the factory Vortech Aftercooler uses a water-to-air intercooler. Well I have been finding w-to-a kits fairly cheap and it would be MUCH easier to run piping just like the factory Vortech setup.

I found this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/180715168768...84.m1423.l2649

It's only 4.5" tall if I were to mount it sideways like the aftercooler, so I feel like I would be able to fit it under my hood where the Vortech cooler is supposed to sit even if I have to notch the inside of the hood. Then all I have to do is run short pieces of piping and mount the heat exchanger in the front, and a fan wired to a switch in the car for extra airflow.

What is your guys opinion on this? Making mounts to hold the cooler steady wouldn't be an issue for me.

Quick Reply: FMIC or Meth Injection?