LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just picked up a forged 383 lt1, what to check before install, power level for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just picked up a forged 383 lt1, what to check before install, power level for boost?

I recently picked up a 383 lt1 short block and have a couple questions about it. This motor will be used for street duty and will be a daily driver. Here is a description of the motor; Brand new forged balanced bottomend. Has oringed block, forged wiseco pistons 5009H3, decked, lined bored, new cam bearings, crank bearings and freeze plugs, four bolt splayed main caps with arp bolts, eagle forged crank and 6" h beam eagle rods. 9:5:1 compression ratio with stock lt1 heads and standard gasket.

I picked it up a few days ago and I'm waiting for time/money to install it. I want to go over the block to make sure everything was assembled correctly and is ready to go. Can someone walk me through this, or explain what I should check?

The other question I have is; how much power can this setup support? I am running 6 lbs of boost right now and am planning on pushing it to 12-15 lbs eventually.
Will it last as a daily driver? how much boost could be used and considered reliable, or how much rwhp can I make before I start to break stuff?

I probably have a few more q's but I'll leave it there for now.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on your transmission and your rear end set up. I also would look into getting ported heads so you can get the most power out of it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

I have a t56 with a decent clutch rated at 550 HP, and my rear end is a stock 10 bolt with 4.10 gears. I know the limit of my tranny is around 550 flywheel and the rear end is junk and will break regardless and then be replaced with a 9 inch. I could port my heads but with boost and a cam already I think heads on top of that will pass 550 flywheel. But all that aside what are the block and forged components capable of supporting?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Me. I would do a complete tear down and check every clearance and inspection of parts.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 i agree! I bought my shortblock used with practically no miles on it and was going to just throw it together and put it in the car. Glad i decided not to as there was a lot of wrong as all the clearances were off and rings werent properly seated that im sure had bad blow by issues. Some of the bearing were already started to show premature wear too. So the morral of the story is dont trust anyones word as its alot easier to find out now then when its in the car.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cyteone
I have a t56 with a decent clutch rated at 550 HP, and my rear end is a stock 10 bolt with 4.10 gears. I know the limit of my tranny is around 550 flywheel and the rear end is junk and will break regardless and then be replaced with a 9 inch. I could port my heads but with boost and a cam already I think heads on top of that will pass 550 flywheel. But all that aside what are the block and forged components capable of supporting?
What you have to understand is that just because a part is rated at 550HP does NOT mean it will fail at 551HP and still work fine at 549HP. With 6psi of boost that motor should be WELL beyond that.

Boosted motors WILL find the weakest link in your motor/combo. If the bottom end is set up PROPERLY then there's no reason that short-block couldn't handle 700-800fwhp at least.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

agreed. go over the block make sure everything looks good, and even then youll probably do more damage to the tranny and rear then the engine itself... ifs its a daily i would really try to keep off the heavy foot until you beef up the rest of the drivetrain. just my 2 cents and the main reason i'm not going to be going boost anytime soon, going to buff up everything else first haha
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It's always just better to have a shortblock built at a local machine shop. Reason being is even if you got it for a deal doesn't mean it won't cost you in the long run. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a forged 383 lt1, what to check before install, power level for boost?