Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 Troubling Pains

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 Troubling Pains

Hello guyz and Galz

I am having a problem with my 700R4.. I should start from the beginning to make sure I get my problem understood...

I am by no means a Mechanic or know how to work on cars..

I have have a 1989 Toyota pickup which had a 22RE 4 banger and an automatic trans.. Not going into what happened to it, I will tell you I replaced the engine and trans with a chevy 4.3 running a 700R4 behind it.

Now I did this engine and trans change about 7 yrs. ago and luv it.. I have more power and better gas mileage..

Now about 4 - 5 yrs ago I parked the truck and left it sitting in my backyard, and about 2 yrs. ago I changed the rearend with a V6 model and added more stock leaf springs to help the saggy rearend, which made me have to get the Driveshaft shortened, and in doing that, I of course lossed some trans fluid.

Another problem I had was the power steering pump started leaking real bad so I changed it with another I had sitting around. But as I was getting the power steering pump all worked out and getting the air out of the system I had the truck in park running, for about 10 - 15 mins at a time and about 4 times.

So brings me to the problem I am having now.. I got my truck out of the backyard and got it ready to use again, and when I took it for a test drive the truck would shift from 1 - 2 no problem - like it should, but when it shifts from 2 -3 it would act like I put it in neutral - Freewheel - .

Now when I changed the driveshaft I lost 2 quarts of ATF and didnt replace it, and when I got the power steering pump installed and ran the truck to remove the air from the system, I ran it without replacing the lost 2 quarts of ATF.

So is it possible I fried the 3 - 4 clutch pack just by running it 2 quarts low or do you think I have a sticking valve - servo - or bad switch ?
I did put the truck on jackstands and tried to run it through the gears to try and fix it, buy it still losses 3rd gear

Oh and I drove the first test drive without adding the 2 quarts of ATF, then I added the ATF to bring it up to full and the tranny did the same thing.

Also I have the lock-up wired up with a push button on the dash and 1 wire going to the trans... I luv having control of the O/D and all the gear ratio's it lets me play with.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM

I pulled the pan and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary..
Anybody have a list parts and order of what I should check before I crack open the front pump and pull the guts out.

At worst a webpage of what the parts are and what they do would be awesome. like this animation of how the servo works.
700R4 / 4L60E Animated Servo Operation

It really aloud me to fully understand what the servo does..
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM

I dropped the 2-4 accumulator and the spring between the plate and piston is broke in half..
Could that be why the tranny acts like it's in neutral when it is suppose to shift into 3RD ¿?¿

I noticed when I relooked at my other post that the link to the servo animation isn't working..
I will try adding it again

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/700r4_servos.htm
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

ther is no 2-4 the 1-2 is on the bottom i usually the one that breaks the 3-4 is in the case under the sererator plate t-3 is in the servo the problem you decribe is internal it has a clutch pack for the 3&4 gear if the seals are bad it will not apply
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM

My bad..you got it right..

I unbolted the 3 bolts and pulled the 1-2 accumulator and the spring was broke..the one between the piston and plate.

I finally found a tranny book for this tranny - it shows me the hydraulic paths " flow chart " so O can follow where the fluid starts and what parts it goes through, and where the shift valves on the valvebody are, I will blow air into the exhaust ports on them and listen for the packs engaging.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

how old is the trans thats in it
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 AM

the trans is a 89.. I got it out of a Suburban and it had a from factory rebuilt tag on it..

Can I use air to check the tranny with the valve body still attached ¿ if so, what ports will I use the air gun to check if the clutch packs are engaging or not.. I used air in the fluid exhaust ports on the valve body and ATF came oozing out of other places - is that normal ¿

Also with the 1-2 accum. off and the separator plate still attached -- I see a check ball lying in a hole in the separator plate.. I can not pull the check ball out since ,the ball is to big --- but I can stick something in there and move the ball around
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Teching In

only way to check it it is with the valvebody off and blow thew the pump ports im not folling u about the check ball is it stuck in the plate? it supose to move but it will not fall threw u can call me if u need to 304 203 0183 i have a tranny shop in wva
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Isn't the 3-4 accum. check ball suppose to be held in place..as in the capsule with check ball..

So with my 3-4 accum. check ball out of the capsule..it is moving freely in the 3-4 accum and not doing it's job..the check ball can not stop fluid flow because the check ball is not in place in the capsule
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There is only one check-ball above the separator plate and it is by the 3-4 accumulator. It should be free to move above the plate.
Also, the check-***** work opposite of what you think - when a clutch/band is applied the checkball closes and forces the fluid through a small restricted hole in the separator plate. This give a softer apply of the clutch or band. Then when the clutch/band is released, the check-ball unseats and allows a rapid release. Therefore, a missing check-ball will give a very forceful apply of the clutch/band, not an apply failure. (IIRC, there is one check-ball which is an exception to this.)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM

"""There is only one check-ball above the separator plate and it is by the 3-4 accumulator. It should be free to move above the plate."""

So that check ball that is inside my 3-4 accum.. is not suppose to be there...Right...

I pushed air through with the valve body still bolted to the trans..I pushed air through the 2-3 shift valve and a low thud is heard and when I release the air I hear another low thud..So the 3-4 clutch pack is engaging and disengaging
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Only the piston, pin and spring should be in the 3-4 accumulator. The checkball is in a cavity next to the accumulator. Are you saying the checkball is loose in the same space the piston rides? That would be very wrong and indicates it slipped during assembly.

Note: I've never touched a 700R4 but know the 4L60E very well; they are similar.

BTW - Interesting that you are able to test the 3-4 clutch with the valve body attached.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 AM

Yes there is a check ball in the 3-4 acumm. area between the spring -- piston area and seperator plate---I can see it thru a hole in the seperator plate....like you said...the check ball should be in a pocket next 2 the 3-4 acumm... yes there is a check ball loose in the 3-4 accum..area...

like I said...my old work truck tranny--not tranny in homo ... ****.......worked when I parked it...my old work truck would not shift into 3rd like it should....damn...my neighbor took me 2 the bar and got me all fucked up...damn him!!!!!! I hope I typed enough for someone to understand me....god damn this alchol
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

lol if u here it apply the clutch drums applying your that far get some gaskets remove the plate make sure the check ***** are correct look at the vb for stuck valves and put it to gether

Quick Reply: 700R4 Troubling Pains