Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod "Street Twin" LT1 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Default McLeod "Street Twin" LT1 ?'s

for those running one of these: (NOT RST or RXT)

is street driving with this clutch like a "on/off" switch or smoooth engagement?

are there any issues with high RPM speed shifts?

what procedure did you do to bleed the hydraulics after their MC install?

i am tired of the single disc clutches that hold for a year or so and start to slip and sacrifice stop/go traffic streetability.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My Street Twin is definitely on/off. I went through a set of discs in 6mos learning how to drive the dang thing, but that may be just a driver mod needed. I went with an Aluminum flywheel which I think also makes it difficult.

No issues with high RPM shifts.

Bleeding the LT slave is as simple as pumping the slave rod. Nothing like the problems of the LS slaves.

HTH
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks 85

I would be getting the steel FW if I go this route

I would have thught with the "organic" disc material engagement would be smooth like any other single disc organic clutch.

Not looking for a "on/off" engageing clutch....but your comment is what I have heard from those who have them regarding engagement of the twin

good to hear no high RPM shift issues.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LS1 Street Twin. I do not find it to be on/off. You do have to feed a little more gas just before engagement because it wants to grab more. I also have an aftermarket cam (Hotcam) so idle is naturally less stable than with a stock style cam. I have no issues with high rpm shifting (install was done by a friend who had done many installs of the same clutch). Now if you come off the clutch quick when running the car, she slams home hard. Just waiting to spit the 10-bolt on a 1-2 shift. I wouldn't even dream of sidestepping it from a stop. Instant 10-bolt death.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks. I hear stack height is critical as the instructions note. .020"-.025" space between 1st (bottom) disc and floater plate. My understanding is it comes pre-assembled with the specific amount of spacers/washers to get that measurement but instructions say to measure to confirm during install process

I have heard mixed reports on on/off vs smooth engagement. I hope to be among the ones who have smooth engagement. I would think the organic disc material would allow for this. Can understand the ceramic puc version not being smooth but have also heard from a person running the ceramic version disc in a B-body conversion has smooth engegement

The Street Twin came out in 74 but there have been some changes over the years for the LT1/T56 one. It comes with a aftermarket MC as developement for the "pull" type revealed a MC with a larger bore is needed.

I wish the clutch discs had sprung hubs but can see there is very little room to accomadate on the twin.

McLeod advised I should have my clutch sent out to a machine shop to confirm "zero" balance even though I ordered the "O" balance version. My 383 is internal balance and I have sent previous single disc units out for balance. All needed it. Even the high $ "steel" FW that was supposed to be "zero" if weight was removed was not "zero" on my last swap.

hind sight is 20/20 but I should have gone with the Twin once I did 383. Single disc clutches, even with ceramic puc discs, all failed after a year or so

Betting twice the surface area resolves the clutch slip yet keeps a streetable engagement.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a street twin in my third gen. I really liked it even though it was mostly on/off it never bothered me. No real chatter or high rpm shifting issues
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

update

I put the McLeod street twin in with the 13/16" MC. Initially had a pedal vibration so sent unit back to McLeod. They said the FW was out slightly so they resurfaced .004 off, replaced discs and floater and used emery cloth to clean up PP

Installed and engagement is very smooth, no pedal vibration.

The engagement is at the top of the pedal, is this "normal"?

I have the MC adjusted to the point I can shift into gears and the rear wheels don't spin with clutch depressed/in gear. That just adjusts pedal travel not engagement point.

engagement with the original clutch was more mid to 3/4 pedal, not sure if the FW resurface affected engagement point.

Quick Reply: McLeod "Street Twin" LT1 ?'s