Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Help !!!!

I have a 1998 Trans am WS6 . This has been a great car with just small problems nothing big . Well the trans started no wanting to stay in rev for about 3-4 wks , Then was driving the other day at low speed ( 45-50 ) and made a bad grinding in trans area . Stoped and looked under car seen nothing , put back in 1st gear and grinding again and no movement . The clucth is working but no foward gears only rev . Called tow truck back to home , When we unloaded it tried again , now have all forward gears no rev but now grinding in rev only . I have taken very good care of this car with oil and trans service's with no problems , any help would be great or is the trans done and needs to go to shop ... Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM

106 look's and NO help come on guys ....
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

pull your shifter and see if plastic cup is intact that holds the shfter ball in trans
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean not wanting to stay in reverse, like you put it in reverse and start backing up and it pops out of reverse and goes into neutral?

Like said above, pull the shift boot off and shifter and check it out to see if there is anything that looks wrong in there. If not it sounds like the tranny. If your just cruising down the road at 45-50 or any speed for that matter and your tranny starts grinding out of nowhere it needs to be pulled and evaluated IMO.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply oldmano2z and blueknight , I will pull shifter and give it a look . Blue knight , yes it just pops out and goes into neutral . Are these type trans just that easy to give out with no warning ? ( blueknight great how to video's ) once again thanks for the help . I hate taking this car to the shop every time I do it's like they see it and say here come our vacation money ... LOL
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fireman's WS6
Thanks for the reply oldmano2z and blueknight , I will pull shifter and give it a look . Blue knight , yes it just pops out and goes into neutral . Are these type trans just that easy to give out with no warning ? ( blueknight great how to video's ) once again thanks for the help . I hate taking this car to the shop every time I do it's like they see it and say here come our vacation money ... LOL
It's rare that I see someone having trouble with the actual tranny. Hopefully you don't get too hosed by the trans shop. I know if mine ever goes out I'm sending mine to Tick Performance to be worked on.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my previous Camaro I had the same problem with reverse popping out. I would have to hold it in reverse with a lot of pressure to back up. 3rd, 4th, and 5th would grind and first was hard to get into gear. But the reason this was happening was the previous owner had driven the car with a toasted clutch and faulty clutch master cylinder and it ruined the syncros and forks. I had my trans rebuilt to the stage 2 viper build, and bought an adjustable CMC all from Tick Performance and it was amazing!

Quick Reply: Transmission Help !!!!