LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Super profile l98 camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super profile l98 camshaft

I just bought a performance book called how to build max performance lt1/lt4 engines and I came across a camshaft I would like to install on my car. Its called the super profile L98 camshaft

here are the specs from the book

Duration at .050:220/220
Lift: .420/.420
lobe separation angle is 112 degrees

They claim a 20HP gain and 30lb torque and has nasty acceleration. However when I search this cam all I find is people who have used it on the l98 corvette. Im confused, is this a cam for the lt1?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Default Not all LT1s are the same.

Sorry but u didn't post any profile info on your car. More than likely that is not a good choice for your LT1 - but it could possibly be if matched to the correct parts.

cardo0
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I have a stock 95z28.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Doesn't sound like an LT1 cam. You would expect split duration and lift numbers, plus the lift on that cam is less than a stock cam. The only major difference is the LSA. Based on the L98 references and your research, I would say it is for L98 applications.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

Default How is that book, ive been meaning to buy one myself?

That book is by the owners of TPIS - the makers of the mini-Ram manifold that GM copied to make the LT1. I really like their products though somewhat expensive. I haven't read their book yet but been meaning too. But TPIS sells their Z9 cam for the LT1 which in their catalog and they claim 19" of idle vacuum (very good for a street performance engine) and is part of their 400hp package for the LT1.
But the best advice i can give to a new owner learning but haven't ever changed a cam before is just try to learn how to adjust the vlvs. For some small power gain change your vlv springs and add 1.6 ratio rocker arms. U will learn how to adjust the vlvs/lifters this way without too much expensive. Too many new enthusiasts take vlv adjustments as too simple task and try bigger performance parts installations without this skill. Results can be sever vlv train damage or even engine distruction.
Yes start with adjusting the vlvs and see if u can do this without lifter noise, p-rod damage or worse a wiped cam. What i'm saying is a lot of enthusiasts think they can adj the vlvs but have never really done this successfully and the result is engine damage.

Not trying to patronize but hope to save u hurting your hotrod, but if u are ready for a new cam just ask here.
cardo
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

avoid TPIS their throttle bodies are supposed to be nice but basically everything else they offer cost too much and offers too little performance.

A friend made the mistake of trusting them over and over and over again and in the end he had a AFR headed(TPIS CNC'd) TPIS cammed(tried several) STROKER(by TPIS employees) Camaro that was slower than my heads/cam Caprice with my old 190cc setup. To add insult to injury my ported GM cores were his original heads. He was actually interested in buying his old heads back when I sold them.

Quick Reply: Super profile l98 camshaft