LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question on custom steam hose routing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on custom steam hose routing

I'm building a steam / vent hose setup for my Rx7 / Lt1 swap, and it would make a lot more sense for me to route the hose from the drivers side head to the water pump, instead of the passenger side like OEM and every other setup I've seen. The driver's side gives me more room between the engine and firewall to run my -AN elbow and T-fittings. Is there any reason why I couldn't run the line from the driver's side head to the water pump? Maybe something with the direction of the coolant flow...?

Helpful responses will be rewarded with pictures of the setup
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zeeboost
Is there any reason why I couldn't run the line from the driver's side head to the water pump? Maybe something with the direction of the coolant flow...?
I believe that the reason for the steam line being routed to the radiator is to allow a place for the steam to condense. If you route it to the waterpump, you will possibly end up recirculating air bubbles.

[Edit] Reading your post again, I may be misunderstanding your question. To be clear, on my car, the steam lines from the rear of both cylinder heads are tee'd together and routed to a fitting below the radiator cap on the stock radiator. Coolant thus flows from the heads to the radiator.

If you must connect these steam lines near the waterpump, I'd at very least make sure that they are dumping into a radiator return hose (ie, a waterpump outlet / radiator inlet hose).

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 03-03-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

I did the water pump mod that everyone on here talks about where you drill and tap the water outlet on the pump and install a 90* fitting. I know why gm ran the steam hose, just not sure if there's a specific reason why they chose the passenger head to tee off from to run to the radiator.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zeeboost
just not sure if there's a specific reason why they chose the passenger head to tee off from to run to the radiator.
They're both outlets, so no, it would make no difference which side has the t-fitting. If you wanted, you could use a y-fitting that favors neither side.

I suspect they placed the t-fitting on the passenger-side head only because it allowed the hose to be routed closer to its eventual destination. I wouldn't hesitate to put the t-fitting on the driver's side instead, if you were looking to route the hose along the driver's side of the engine to the waterpump outlet.

Sorry for any confusion -- I did originally misunderstand your question.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

K, that's what I had figured, but I'm a better safe than sorry guy. I'll get a couple of pics up when I finish the hose setup.

Thanks for chiming in on the subject
Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

De nada.

Definitely post pics -- that car should be fun as hell when you're finished. Was it difficult squeezing the LT1 in there? From a quick google search, it looks like there's more room under the hood than I would have thought.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

I've been distracted by another project for the past 3 weeks, but now I'm back on this one. The Lt1 fits pretty well, but that damn steam tube is a PITA to work on with the engine installed. Thank god for crows feet.

Finished up the hoses tonight, so as promised:
Attached Thumbnails Question on custom steam hose routing-steam-tube-1.jpg   Question on custom steam hose routing-steam-tube-2.jpg   Question on custom steam hose routing-steam-tube-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Question on custom steam hose routing