Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performabuilt lvl3 not right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performabuilt lvl3 not right?

Hey guys I just installed my performabuilt lvl3 transmission and 3800 stall. If I put it in first it will not go forward very well, it feels like your hitting the brakes and it is bogging down. Second gear is fine and shifts awesome to third...I took it on the highway and it doesn't seem to go in overdrive either? The fluid is at a good level and doesn't smell burnt, I did get a ses light but it was too late to go to any auto part stores to check it out. Do u think not having a tune could cause this?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewmeyes88
Hey guys I just installed my performabuilt lvl3 transmission and 3800 stall. If I put it in first it will not go forward very well, it feels like your hitting the brakes and it is bogging down. Second gear is fine and shifts awesome to third...I took it on the highway and it doesn't seem to go in overdrive either? The fluid is at a good level and doesn't smell burnt, I did get a ses light but it was too late to go to any auto part stores to check it out. Do u think not having a tune could cause this?
Sounds like the stall is causing your trans to go into "Limp mode".
W/o a tune, your computor is feeling extra slipage from your stall, which results in what you are feeling.
Your car is actually starting out in 2nd gear from a stop, and thats why you feel it is bogging.
You need to get a tune.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Drewmeyers88: As Dannyz says, you probably do need a tune to get things working right. You are probably feeling the initial "softness" is a high stall converter. What brand is it? You say "overdrive" - do you mean 4th gear or do you mean Converter lockup? Very likely the tune will fix the SES light, which in turn will allow the converter to lockup.

Dannyz: In limp mode the 4L60E actually starts in 3rd gear and won't shift at all. (Unlikely most other transmissions.)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yea mrvedit you are right it starts in 3rd every time I stop...I have to manually shift to second but It won't go into first even if I put it there. Sometimes it locks up and sometimes it doesn't? But thank you both for the replies!!! So you think a tune will fix this? Also do you think it's safe to drive about an hour away to get it tuned?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like limp mode probably caused by the stall you will not be able to manual select 1st when this happens and you may get a bind up effect when you try due to the 2nd band applying with the low reverse clutch a brake effect do not attempt to start in first when it is like this use 2nd and 3rd positions only. Then take it and get tune does its generally wise to remove the test for the codes for the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids stuck on or off,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks frank I will be sure not to put the car in first. I had no idea It would do that whenever I put the stall in...I will get it tuned tomorrow. Is there any way to disable limp mode before I get a tune? Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No you will have to drive there in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well it's like an hour away frank so I will probably just trailer it...I can't wait to get it installed and run at the track!! Thanks for all your help

Quick Reply: Performabuilt lvl3 not right?