Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Loose ignition switch/rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose ignition switch/rod

I'm new to this forum but have been browsing for awhile and I couldn't find any post that has a similar problem that I am having. I have a 2000 trans am ws6 that has a loose ignition switch. The car won't start and no electronics will turn on. I've had this problem before that left me stranded, but I turned the key all the way to start position and had someone push and popped the clutch and it started. When I got the vehicle home I took the steering wheel off and there is a rod that connects to the ignition switch that keeps popping out of place when you turn the vehicle off. When that happens the ignition switch becomes loose and won't start.. it doesn't do it every time, just at random moments.. say every 100 key turns. Last time when it happened I pulled the key out got out the car, came back 30 minutes later to leave and I noticed my radio was still on, I supposed because the ignition was stuck in the on position. I don't know if this is a ignition cylinder issues or if the entire steering column in an issue. If anybody has any insight on this it would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you have a issue with the switch thats bolted to the lower column that the rod sticks into. Its easy to replace just the switch down there. It could have come apart or the 2 bolts could have loosened up and slid down a bit.

Last edited by TTOP350; 03-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM

That's exactly what the problem was. I order a completely new steering column. Came in on Friday and installed on Saturday. Came with a new key and a metal ignition housing. The key that it came with doesn't have a chip on it. I don't know the exact terminology but I had to take the old key and ignition switch and wire it to a wire that recognizes when the key is in the ignition if that makes sense. So the car requires two keys to start lol. I just put it up in the dash to hide it but my car is back to working now.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a pain in the ***. How did you get the wheel off without having airbag issues?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The airbag is removed before you can take the wheel off after disconnecting the battery. There are several nice tutorials around but you're correct about it being a pain.

Ignition cylinders come with a dummy key that you can use as the "pattern" to have a new key made that has the same resistor as your BCM expects... then you don't need multiple keys. Or you can bypass the resistor and use the dummy key.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Surprisingly it was pretty easy. Only took about 2 hours. My first time ever doing it and didn't use any tutorials. Had I went the one key route the main time consuming thing would be that sensor that runs from the ignition cylinder to the vehicles computer system. The first thing I noticed after installing the new steering column was that a wire was missing (orange wire). I pulled apart the old steering wheel and found that the wire wired to the ignition cylinder and I was just like eff that I'm tired. So basically just did a bypass. Been working fine all week. Next project is the headlight dials. I've already replaced the carpet, new door panels, new radio and speakers, added some subs, HID headlights, repainted the plastic headlight housing.

Quick Reply: Loose ignition switch/rod