Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing shot...Monster Level 1 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot bearing shot...Monster Level 1 clutch

Anyone ever have trouble with this? I had a brand new Monster level 1 clutch kit installed last year, bought a Tick master and new slave with it, also did the remote speed bleeder. My car was making grinding noises when I would push on the clutch pedal so I took my car to Aamco Transmissions and they said my pilot bearing was thrashed and that I also needed to replace my slave cylinder. Just wondering if anyone running a Monster clutch ever had this issue...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure the pilot bearing got replaced. Have seen where shops have a lot of trouble getting the pilots out and reuse them.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam75w/ls1
Make sure the pilot bearing got replaced. Have seen where shops have a lot of trouble getting the pilots out and reuse them.
This, also check the input shaft for excessive runout.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

one thing about not doing your own work is you just don't really know wtf a shop did. Assumeing they did replace your pilot bearing on the swap you need to find out the "why" it failed.

most common cause would be input shaft of tranny has play in it because of a bad front bearing or in rare cases is bent.

another possible cause is on tranny install the transmission was pulled in the last 1/2" with the tranny bolts because disc spline was not correctly lined up...and the input shaft killed the pilot bearing
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replys guys, I will find out more...just seemed strange since my clutch is only a year old without any hard launches or anything like that, just a few spirited driving here and there but the car is a street car, I have never taken it to the track.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
one thing about not doing your own work is you just don't really know wtf a shop did. Assumeing they did replace your pilot bearing on the swap you need to find out the "why" it failed.

most common cause would be input shaft of tranny has play in it because of a bad front bearing or in rare cases is bent.

another possible cause is on tranny install the transmission was pulled in the last 1/2" with the tranny bolts because disc spline was not correctly lined up...and the input shaft killed the pilot bearing
They told me they found some bearings in the bell housing that seems like it was from the tranny? No idea where that could've came from and they were pretty clueless as to how that got there as well? Never had an issue with my tranny and never had any work done on it...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Way to throw Monster under the bus on this one.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

One thing I have learned about T56 trannieis that the pilot bearings fail extremely easy. Most of the failures are from imperfections on the tip of input shaft. Hell,I had one that failed on a customer that I did a clutch on and used mechanics sandpaper to polish up some pits on the shaft. Nope,it has to be perfect. Now,if I have one that the shaft is questionable I put a solid bushing in. Have also had one that previous shop installed bearing backwards and it died in 8 months.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Might sound dumb, do ls1s even need a pilot bearing? One weekend my brother and i were throwing my car together to get it done in time for autox the next day, and we realized we didnt have a pilot bearing. So he remembered he didnt think they used one with his lt1 car so we took a chance and put it together with out a pilot bearing in and it was fine. Now im definitely putting one in this time around lol that was just because we didnt care.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, did they find anything wrong with the transmission itself?

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing shot...Monster Level 1 clutch