Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 bottom end for boost question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 bottom end for boost question.

i havent been on the forum very long so i apologize if this is a dumb question but, how reliable is the LQ4 bottom end for boost? I see a lot of guys running stock 5.3's 6.0's ect. so i know its possible to make good power on the stock bottom end. But since i plan on building a single turboed LQ4 for track/street use i want the bottom end to be strong enough that it can take a beating and not throw a rod at the first sign of predet. Obviously pre-detonation will kill any motor, but a forged rotating usually holds up a little better. And if i drive the car enough there will come a day when i fill up with bad gas, clog a fuel filter during a pull, fuel pump begins to die, ect.

so if you planned on building a turboed LQ4 that will be driven as often as possible, while not being the primary daily driver, would you go forged rotating? or is that overkill?

My second question is if you wanted to do a forged bottom end what parts would you use? my main concern is the rod length and piston/head volume.

from what ive read the stock LQ4 rods are 6.098", but all i can find on texas-speed are 6.125" rods and 6.100" on summit. wouldnt running a 6.125" rod increase compression and require me to run a dished piston? if so what cc would you recommend? i think most people run a -19cc to -22cc in the truck motors, but im not sure and haven't found a thread that directly answered that question.

thanks for the help
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be running my stock lq4 until A. I get bored and rip it apart for more cubes and bigger turbos or B. I kill #7 or bend a rod. I plan on buying callies rods and wiseco pistons after this stock bottom end. Keeping the stock crank because they are pretty damn strong at even 1000hp. When you use a 6.125 rod you need a piston to match it so the compression ratio doesn't change or your piston doesn't fly out of the cylinder. Depending on what head you run and what cc piston you go with will change compression ratio. I'm going to make my lq4 into a 370 eventually because that way i can re use my stock crank and i just need to bore the cylinders .030 over. Keeping a smaller crank will leave me more piston material to be in the safe side and you can make tons of power with a 370 anyway.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been 153mph in the 1/4 on the stock bottom end for roughly 30 passes and 2-3k street miles if i had to guess

Quick Reply: LQ4 bottom end for boost question.