Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need donor vehicle advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need donor vehicle advice

I'm looking to put an LS engine in my 53 Chevy Bel Air. My goal is to have a reliable engine that gets decent MPG. I don't care to race this thing or be the annoying neighbor with the loud car.

I was hoping I can buy a donor vehicle and source most of the parts (engine, trans, rear end, harness, etc.) but I'm not sure what would be the best vehicle for my application?

Anyone have any advice on this?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your basically looking to update since you said no racing and didnt mention power upgrades but did mention fuel economy maybe a 4.8 or 5.3 silverado/sierra 2wd so you can also use the trans??

that would be the cheapest powertrain to get and provide better economy than the larger (more expensive) engines and your 53 should have plenty of room to clear the stock truck intake and still close the hood.

this post would get more replies as well as high quality replies from people that have done similar swaps if you were to post it in the conversions and hybrids section of the forum - it is the most active subforum on here by far go check it out !
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
if your basically looking to update since you said no racing and didnt mention power upgrades but did mention fuel economy maybe a 4.8 or 5.3 silverado/sierra 2wd so you can also use the trans??

that would be the cheapest powertrain to get and provide better economy than the larger (more expensive) engines and your 53 should have plenty of room to clear the stock truck intake and still close the hood.

this post would get more replies as well as high quality replies from people that have done similar swaps if you were to post it in the conversions and hybrids section of the forum - it is the most active subforum on here by far go check it out !
haha..And I thought it was the other way around, which is why I posted here.

Thanks for the info btw. I was doing more research today and noticed the LM7 may be an option. I just hope I can use the rear end too.

Quick Reply: Need donor vehicle advice